Dr. Simon Besnard
Funktion und Aufgaben:Senior researcher in the Global Land Monitoring Group.
- Terrestrial carbon cycle and vegetation dynamics
- Disturbance dynamics
- Earth observation data
- Data-driven statistical modeling
- Deep-learning methods
- Senior Researcher (present): GFZ-Potsdam, Germany. Combining recent developments in sensor technologies, data integration, and data-driven learning methods to monitor large-scale land processes.
- Lead Data Scientist, Nature-based Solutions (2021): South Pole, The Netherlands. Focus on developing and integrating data-driven models into digital Monitoring, Reporting, and Verification systems for Nature-based Solution projects.
- Post-doctoral Researcher (2019): Max Planck Institute for Biogeochemistry, Germany. Work involved integrating long-term above-ground biomass time series into a carbon cycle modeling framework.
- Visiting Researcher (2014): Wageningen University, The Netherlands. Participated in the Global Comparative Study on REDD+, CIFOR (MSc. Thesis).
- Consultant (2013): GIZ GmbH, Germany. Developed recommendations to streamline GIZ REDD+ MRV activities to comply with UNFCCC modalities on MRV.
- Consultant (2013): Ecosystem Marketplace, United States. Contributed to the annual State of the Voluntary Carbon Markets and State of the Forest Markets reports.
- Research Intern (2012): Environmental Defense Fund, United States. Researched the State of Soil Carbon Sequestration Offset Policy Design.
- Project Manager (2011): Global Green Carbon, Nicaragua. Implemented a reforestation/afforestation carbon offset project with forestry and agroforestry systems.
- Visiting Researcher (2010): Institute of Research for Development, South Africa. Researched the relationship between farming practices and land degradation in a communal watershed (MSc. Thesis).
- Intern (2009): CERAI, Tunisia. Researched the introduction of new farming practices and the implementation of new economic activities in agro-forestry irrigated systems.
- Research Assistant (2008): INRA, France. Studied the spatiotemporal evolution of soil hydrodynamics properties with conventional and conservation tillage practices (BSc. Thesis).
Werdegang / Ausbildung:
- Ph.D. (Sept. 2019): Max Planck Institute for Biogeochemistry, Germany and Laboratory of Geo-information Science and Remote Sensing, Wageningen University, The Netherlands. Dissertation on "Controls of forest age and ecological memory effects on biosphere-atmosphere CO₂ exchange."
- MSc. (March 2015): Wageningen University, The Netherlands. Major in Remote Sensing and Geo-Information Science.
- MSc. (Nov. 2010): Montpellier SupAgro/Institut des Regions Chaudes (IRC), France. Major in International Land Management.
- BSc. (June 2008): University of Rennes 1, France. Major in Environmental Sciences.
2023 - 2027 FORWARDS, role: member
2023 - 2027 OpenEarthMonitor, role: member
2024 - 2027 HYPER-AMPLIFAI, role: WP co-lead