Postdoctoral Research Scientist (f_m_x) in the frame of CAWa GREEN project
Reference Number 7105
We are seeking a postdoctoral research scientist to work in the frame of the CAWa-Green project, which is part of the “Green Central Asia” initiative of the Federal Foreign Office of Germany to Central Asia. The postdoctoral research scientist will focus on the quantification of water resources in the Central Asian region by using globally available data (e.g. remote sensing), including MODIS snow cover, GRACE and GRACE-FO time-variable gravity data. By using globally available data, (i) the operational monitoring of available water resources, (ii) the variations of water storage in different storage compartments (snow, ice, rain, groundwater); and (iii) application of MODIS and GRACE products for improved quantification of water resources including drought forecasting will be achieved. The expected outcomes should support the policy dialogue in Central Asia by disseminating project results to regional water organizations.
- Contribution to the development of a drought monitoring tool for the Aral Sea Basin by developing drought indexes
- Application of remote sensing data (e.g. Snow Cover Area) for improved water availability assessment in Central Asia
- Evaluation and validation of MODIS snow cover and GRACE/GRACE-FO gravity products using in-situ data
- Contribution to the development of policy briefs using the modelling results
- Presentation of results at scientific meetings and publication in peer-reviewed journals
- Compiling operational project reports and deliverables
- Master's degree and PhD in Earth, Environmental or Data Sciences, or in a related field
- Advanced expertise in spatial data analysis [AG1] or data fusion methods of remote sensing and/or in-situ data for Earth science applications
- Expertise in the field of hydrology and hydrological modelling
- Demonstrated expertise in GRACE data applications is an asset
- Practical programming skills
- Demonstrated capacity for international teamwork, and excellent communication skills
- Creative and critical thinking and the ability to publish, demonstrated by a record of original and innovative publications
- Proficiency in spoken and written English and knowledge of the Russian language will be an asset
What we offer:
- Ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Public service benefits
- Extensive training opportunities
- Professional career advice is offered by our in-house Career-Centre
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Support with finding a good work-life balance is offered by benefit@work
- Institute day-care centre on site
- Working at the Albert Einstein science park on the Telegrafenberg in Potsdam
Fixed-term: 15 months (prolongation is subject to continued project funding)
Salary: The position is classed as salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group is determined on the basis of the Collective Wage Agreement and the respective personal qualifications.
Working hours: Full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is generally suitable for part-time work.
Place of work: Potsdam
Have we piqued your interest?
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics. Anyone who has been recognized as severely disabled, will be given preferential consideration in the event of equal suitability and qualification in accordance with the provisions of the German Social Code IX. If you have any questions, please contact our representative for the severely disabled at sbv[at]gfz-potsdam.de, who will be happy to assist you in the further application process. In case of further queries regarding gender equality, please do not hesitate to contact our Equal Opportunities Officer at gba[at]gfz-potsdam.de.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 b, Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with Art. 26 of the Data Protection Act for the State of Brandenburg. After completion of the procedure, application documents will be deleted in compliance with data protection regulations.