Two Student Assistants (f_m_x)
Reference Number 7052
Section 1.3 " Earth System Modelling" of GFZ is focusing on the numerical representation of transient dynamics in both the Solid Earth and near-surface geophysical fluids like atmosphere and ocean. We are particularly interested in modeling phenomena that affect present-day geodetic and geophysicalobservations taken on the ground or from space.
In order to provide prospective PhD students early insights into our work, we are offering two students assistant positions to work on a small research project from the variety of themes given on our website, Section 1.3 "Earth System Modeling".
- Global ocean tides
- Sea-level variations due to past and present ice-mass changes
- Ocean data assimilation and nudging
- Soil moisture and surface water mass re-distribution
- Composition of the crust and geothermal heat flow
- Glacial isostatic adjustment and large-scale surface deformations
Section 1.3 supports to increase the number of female researchers and, therefore, particularly invites interested women to apply.
- Literature study to a dedicated topic in Earth System Modelling
- Design of a model experiment with a controlled variation of a small set of parameters
- Statistical analysis and plotting of numerical model results
- Presentation of results in a small group seminar
- B.Sc. in Science or Engineering
- Enrolment at a German University
- Basic knowledge of linux computing environments including batch and/or python scripting
- Basic knowledge of time series analysis methods
What we offer:
- Ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Public service benefits
- Extensive training opportunities
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Working at the Albert Einstein science park on the Telegrafenberg in Potsdam
- Work place within walking distance of Potsdam main train station, or just a short ride on the shuttle bus
Fixed-term: 2 Months
Salary: Remuneration is according to the rules of the TdL (tariff area East) for student assistants with a Bachelor's degree: currently € 12.37/ h
Working hours: 20 h per week (80 h per Month)
Place of work: Potsdam
Have we piqued your interest?
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics. Anyone who has been recognized as severely disabled, will be given preferential consideration in the event of equal suitability and qualification in accordance with the provisions of the German Social Code IX. If you have any questions, please contact our representative for the severely disabled at sbv[at]gfz-potsdam.de, who will be happy to assist you in the further application process. In case of further queries regarding gender equality, please do not hesitate to contact our Equal Opportunities Officer at gba[at]gfz-potsdam.de.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 b, Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with Art. 26 of the Data Protection Act for the State of Brandenburg. After completion of the procedure, application documents will be deleted in compliance with data protection regulations.