Junior Software Developer (f_m_x)
Reference Number 8412
The candidate will participate in the joint development activities of the European Integrated Data Archive (EIDA), the infrastructure for seismic waveform federated under Observatories & Research Facilities for European Seismology (ORFEUS) and within European Plate Observatory Systems (EPOS).
The GEOFON data centre, part of Section 2.4, will support the Joint Development Team (JDT) of EIDA which receives contributions from other European data centers as part of the federation. Interdisciplinary coordination as well as interaction with the EPOS infrastructure is expected. Although located at GFZ, the candidate will work under the guidance and coordination of the EIDA JDT chairs. Local GFZ coordination and supervision is expected to be merely administrative.
- Participation in the development, testing, monitoring of the EIDA seismological services
- Development of web services, frontends, dissemination portals and documentation
- Revamping of the central interactive data access portal of the EIDA federation: project definition, planning, development, deployment, bug fixes
- Provide support to users of the developed services
- Presentation of technical/scientific results at international conferences and in international journals
- Ensure coordination with the rest of the JDT via the used collaborative tools
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Geophysics, Physics, or related discipline, PhD desirable
- Knowledge of one or more of the most popular frontend web frameworks
- Experience in development of scientific software
- Good skills in web design and experience with web services
- Good communication skills in an international context
- Previous experience in seismological data analysis is a plus
What we offer:
- Ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Public service benefits
- Extensive training opportunities
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Support with finding a good work-life balance offered by benefit@work
- Institute day-care centre on site
- Working at the Albert Einstein science park on the Telegrafenberg in Potsdam
- Work place within walking distance of Potsdam main train station, or just a short ride on the shuttle bus
Fixed-term: 24 months
Salary: The salary grouping is determined by the conditions of the Collective Wage Agreement “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)” and the appropriate personal qualifications.
Working hours: Full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is generally suitable for part-time work.
Place of work: Potsdam
Have we piqued your interest?
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics. Anyone who has been recognized as severely disabled, will be given preferential consideration in the event of equal suitability and qualification in accordance with the provisions of the German Social Code IX. If you have any questions, please contact our representative for the severely disabled at sbv[at]gfz-potsdam.de, who will be happy to assist you in the further application process. In case of further queries regarding gender equality, please do not hesitate to contact our Equal Opportunities Officer at gba[at]gfz-potsdam.de.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 b, Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with Art. 26 of the Data Protection Act for the State of Brandenburg. After completion of the procedure, application documents will be deleted in compliance with data protection regulations.