Reference Number 8376
The section 2.1 studies the physical processes associated with earthquakes and volcanoes, to better understand the triggering mechanisms, time scales, consequences and interactions of earthquakes and volcanic phenomena. For this, we host a modular pool of instruments (seismometers, tiltmeters, drones) that allow efficient and flexible monitoring in the field, including data acquisition during rapid response (task force) operations. To support our active team in modern approaches of seismological data analysis, worldwide field activities, and theoretical model developments, we invite highly motivated candidates to apply. The post is independent from third-party funds, and is currently for 2 years. Depending on the continued availability of funds the position can be extended for longer term if guidelines for tenure track can be fulfilled.
The successful candidate is expected to conducting independent and coordinated excellent research in the field of earthquake source processes and earthquake and volcano physics, both from experimental and theoretical side. Responsibilities should also cover the initiation and writing of third party research projects and leading teams for joint publications. Contributions to our Wave Physics and Tool Development Lab are welcome.
Your responsibilities and opportunities:
- Develop new ambitious research ideas and apply advanced techniques for full waveform analysis
- Presentation of research results in peer reviewed journals and scientific meetings
- Write scientific proposals to acquire third-party funding
- Ability and willingness to coordinate small research teams
- Planning, coordinating and conducting field work in earthquake and volcano physics
- Supervision and mentoring of PhD and master students
- Experience in development and application of software tools
- Motivation and ability to work with interdisciplinary teams in the section and with collaborators
- Provide training for students and scientists and contributing to our international training courses
- Other duties - as assigned
- MSc and PhD in Earth Science, with focus on seismology and geophysics
- Solid geophysical and seismological background
- Documented experience in research and outstanding publication record with respect to the stage of the career
- Experience in designing and writing research proposals
- Good knowledge in multi-language programming and open source tool development, strong skills in Python
- Preferably experiences in continuous multichannel data processing
- Familiar with seismology toolboxes as e.g. Pyrocko, ObsPy, GMT
- Experience in multiple operating systems, primarily Linux
- Good written and oral skills in English
What we offer:
- Ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Public service benefits
- Extensive training opportunities
- Professional career advice offered by our in-house Career-Centre
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Support with finding a good work-life balance offered by benefit@work
- Institute day-care centre on site
Fixed-term: 2 years (with possibility of extension)
Salary: The position is classed as salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group is determined on the basis of the Collective Wage Agreement and the respective personal qualifications.
Working hours: Full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is generally suitable for part-time work or can be shared.
Place of work: Potsdam
Have we piqued your interest?
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics. Anyone who has been recognized as severely disabled, will be given preferential consideration in the event of equal suitability and qualification in accordance with the provisions of the German Social Code IX. If you have any questions, please contact our representative for the severely disabled at sbv[at]gfz-potsdam.de, who will be happy to assist you in the further application process. In case of further queries regarding gender equality, please do not hesitate to contact our Equal Opportunities Officer at gba[at]gfz-potsdam.de.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 b, Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with Art. 26 of the Data Protection Act for the State of Brandenburg. After completion of the procedure, application documents will be deleted in compliance with data protection regulations.