To complement the Interface Geochemistry team we are looking for a colleague to carry out research with a focus on mineral-microbe interface reactions.
Research Associate (Post Doc) mineral-microbe interface reactions (f_m_x)
Reference Number 8231
We seek a highly motivated biogeochemist / environmental mineralogist who wants to develop her/his/their skills in a highly interdisciplinary work environment in order to obtain a holistic understanding of mineral-microbe-interactions in Earth Surface processes.
She/he/they will join an international and diverse team of researchers led by Liane G. Benning, who is very committed to fostering a fully inclusive research environment. Non-discrimination and equal treatment are integral parts of our group policy.
- Conduct original research on molecular processes that govern soil mineral-microbe interactions and interface reactions
- Develop, test and validate new mineral – microbe interface characterization tools with a focus on three dimensional X-ray and electron micro-spectroscopic approaches
- Active development of own research directions, complementing those in the Interface Geochemistry team is strongly encouraged
- Publish in international peer-reviewed journals
- Present research results at scientific meetings
- Co-supervise graduate students and interns
- Develop and maintain a professional network
- Lead and/or considerably contribute to writing 3rd party funding proposals
- MSc and PhD degree in (bio)geochemistry, environmental mineralogy with specialization in inorganic - organic /microbial interface processes
- Demonstrated knowledge of molecular level reactions governing mineral-microbe interactions in laboratory of natural field settings
- Documentable expertise in state-of-the-art tools for the 3D X-ray or electron micro-spectroscopic characterization of mineral-microbe interfaces
- Excellent publication and 3rd party funding records
- Demonstrated ability in working on multiple projects simultaneously
- Capacity for interdisciplinary and international teamwork
- Excellent and documented communication skills
- Experience in supervision of BSc/MSc students
- Proficiency in spoken and written English, German is an asset
What we offer:
- Ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Public service benefits
- Extensive training opportunities
- Professional career advice offered by our in-house Career-Centre
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Support with finding a good work-life balance offered by benefit@work
- Institute day-care centre on site
- Working at the Albert Einstein science park on the Telegrafenberg in Potsdam
- Work place within walking distance of Potsdam main train station, or just a short ride on the shuttle bus
Fixed-term: 2 years (with possibility of extension)
Salary: The position is classed as salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group is determined on the basis of the Collective Wage Agreement and the respective personal qualifications.
Working hours: Full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is generally suitable for part-time work.
Place of work: Potsdam
Have we piqued your interest?
1. Cover letter detailing your fit to the qualifications and responsibilities of the post.
2. CV, full publication list and details of 2 scientific referees.
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics. Anyone who has been recognized as severely disabled, will be given preferential consideration in the event of equal suitability and qualification in accordance with the provisions of the German Social Code IX. If you have any questions, please contact our representative for the severely disabled at sbv[at]gfz-potsdam.de, who will be happy to assist you in the further application process. In case of further queries regarding gender equality, please do not hesitate to contact our Equal Opportunities Officer at gba[at]gfz-potsdam.de.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 b, Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with Art. 26 of the Data Protection Act for the State of Brandenburg. After completion of the procedure, application documents will be deleted in compliance with data protection regulations.