Function and Responsibilities:
Head of Section 3.6 "Chemistry and Physics of Earth Materials"
As a mineralogist graduated in the field of petrology I am generally interested in the stability, phase relations, crystal chemistry and crystal physics of the Earth’s material.
My research falls into four main areas:
(i) Experiments to study the geologically important phase relations as a function of P, T and fO2
(ii) Experimental equilibrium studies of coexisting minerals and/or minerals plus fluids in order to extract thermodynamic data, especially for solid solutions
(iii) Crystal chemistry and crystal physics of natural and synthetic minerals determined using various spectroscopic methods (FTIR-, Raman-, Mössbauer-, UV-Vis-spectroscopy) and X-ray powder methods (Rietveld refinements)
(iv) In-situ experiments on minerals using IR- and Raman-spectroscopy as well as X-ray diffraction in order to understand the response of their structures to changes in temperature and pressure.
2007 adjunct Professor (apl) at TU, Berlin, Germany
1997 Habilitation (venia docendi) in Mineralogy, TU Berlin
1989 Doctor rer. nat. at TU Berlin
1983 Diploma in Mineralogy at FU Berlin
1976 – 1983 Freie Universität Berlin Study of Mineralogy, Chemistry and Geology
1983 Diploma in Mineralogy
1983 – 1985 Freie Universität Berlin - Research Scholarship, Richard-Winter-Foundation, Köln
1984 – 1985 Volkshochschulen Schöneberg/Steglitz, Berlin - Lecturer in Mineralogy
1984 – 1989 Technische Universität Berlin PhD position in mineralogy
1989 PhD in Mineralogy, TU Berlin
1990 – 1996 Technische Universität Berlin - Assistant Professor (C1 Position)
1996 – 1997 Technische Universität Belin - Scholarship Holder (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft)
1998 – 1999 German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ) - Scientific Co-Worker
2000 – 2001 Geophysical Laboratory, Washington DC - Postdoctoral Research Associate
2001 – 2015 German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ) - Senior Scientist
since 2007 adjunct Professor (apl.) Technische Universität Berlin
since 2015 Head of the section 3.6
- structure and crystal-chemistry of nominally hydrous and anhydrous high-pressure minerals, e. g. superhydrous phase B, pyroxene, spinel solid solutions, natural and synthetic ringwoodite, Fe-Mg spinelloid, Fe-oxides, etc
- Kinetics and mechanisms of phase transitions, e.g. the coesite-quartz transformation as a function of intrinsic OH.
- Location and quantitative analysis of OH in nominally anhydrous minerals, e.g. coesite, stishovite, olivine, wadsleyite, ringwoodite, majorite, akimotoite etc.
- In-situ observations of dehydration reactions and solid state phase transitions of geomaterial using heating states, conventional diamond-anvil-cells and internally heated diamond-anvil cells (DAC-HT).
- Stability of carbonates in the subsolidus region, determined by vibrational spectroscopy and molecular modelling
- Melt relations of carbonates in the system CaCO3-MgCO3
- OH in Martian apatite measured by FTIR spectroscopy
- Mechanism of high-spin to low-spin transition of Fe2+
Research Boards and Committees:
2007 – 2010 Secretary and Program Chair for Mineralogy within the European Geoscience Union (EGU)
2008 Member of the Board Review of the Austrian Science Foundation
2009 – 2011 Head of the Organisation Committee of the ECMS2011 Conference in Potsdam, Germany
2010 – 2013 Member of the MSA distinguished lecture committee
2011 Guest editor of the European Journal of Mineralogy
2011 – 2015 Member of the IMA Medal Committee
2012 – 2020 Member of the Board Review of the German Science Foundation (DFG) in FK 316
2012 – 2020 Member of the Board of Trustees of the "Irmgard and Michael Abs-Foundation"
2013 – 2015 Advisory Board of the Deutsche Mineralogische Gesellschaft
2015 – Associate Editor of the European Journal of Mineralogy
Member of the Deutsche Mineralogsche Gesellschaft
Member of the Mineralogical Society of America
Member fo the European Geoscience Union
Member of the American Geophysical Union
Member of the Consortium for Materials Properties Research in Earth Sciences (COMPRES)
Member of the DESY-PETRA-III large volume press consortium
2012 Appointed as Fellow of the Mineralogical Society of America
2006 Appointed to Adjunct Professor (apl) in Mineralogy at the Technische Universität Berlin
Appointed to Associate Professsor at Technische Universität Berlin
1984 – 1985
Fellowship of the Richard-Winter Foundation