TU Delft (The Netherlands) - Faculty of Civil Engineering & Geosciences CITG
starting October 2013 - Part-time professor for Geothermal Engineering in the Department of Geoscience & Engineering
GeoForschungsZentrum Potsdam - International Centre for Geothermal Research
- Project coordinator of EU Project GEMex - cooperation on geothermal research between EU and Mexico (2016-2019)
- Project Manager of geothermal EU projects I-GET on geophysical exploration (2005-2009) and GEISER on understanding and mitigation of induced seismicity (2010-2013)
- Scientific secretary (2009-2011) of the joint programme on geothermal energy of the EERA (European Energy Research Alliance; www.eera-set.eu).
- Senior scientist in the rock physics laboratory; investigation of the effect of the liquid/steam transition on the physical properties of geothermal reservoir rocks.
(2000 - 2004 )
Postdoctoral researcher in the areas of geothermal research and rock physics. Research on dehydration reactions and their influence on physical properties or water-bearing rocks such as serpentinite and amphibolite within the national collaborative research effort (DFG Sonderforschungsbereich 267) „Deformation Processes in the Andes“.
University of Minnesota (USA), Dept. of Geology & Geophysics
(1996 – 2000)
Postdoctoral researcher and research fellow in the experimental rock deformation laboratory of Prof. D.L. Kohlstedt, with research grants provided by the German Science foundation DFG and the US NSF. Research on the role of silicate and metallic melts in the deformation and rheology of partially molten mantle rocks.
ETH Zürich (Switzerland), Geological Institute
(1992 – 1996)
PhD-student with Prof. K.S. Hsü under the supervision of Dr. D.L. Olgaard.
PhD thesis on the subject „Rheology of fine-grained two-phase rocks with phases of similar strength – an
Technical University Clausthal (Germany) (1988 – 1991) Universität Stuttgart (Germany)
Diploma in Geology with outside subjects Geophysics and Geology of Ore Deposits.
Diploma Thesis on lithological and tectonic investigations in the Southern Black Forest/Rhine Graben area.
(1985 – 1988)
Vordiplom (pre-diploma) in Geology and Mineralogy/Petrology with outside subjects General Chemistry and Physical
University of Edinburgh (Scotland)(1984 – 1985)
First year Geology, with outside subjects Mathematics and Italian.
Research Boards and Committees:
- Associate editor for Geothermics (since 2010)
- Guest editor (with W. Cumming) “The European I-GET Project: Integrated Geophysical Exploration Technologies for Deep Geothermal Reservoirs”, Geothermics 39, 1, pp. 1-138; 2010
- Guest editor (with L. Burlini) ”High-Strain Zones: Structure and Physical Properties“ The Geological Society, Special Publications 245, pages 472, London, 2005.