Function and Responsibilities:
Senior scientist in
Section 5.4 'Hydrology'
Head of the Working Group '
Hydrogravimetry and large-scale hydrology
Professor for Hydrogravimetry at Potsdam University (
Institute of Earth and Environmental Science
Hydrological monitoring and modelling from local to global scales
- Water storage variations in space and time from surface water bodies to the vadose zone and the groundwater
- Developing geodetic monitoring techniques for hydrological applications, in particular
- terrestrial gravimetry with superconducting gravimeters for water storage monitoring
- GNSS reflectometry for surface soil moisture and snow monitoring
- Satellite gravimetry (GRACE, GRACE-FollowOn) for the assessment of large-scale water storage changes
- Integration of monitoring data with hydrological models, multi-critierial calibration (for WASA-SED or for the WaterGAP Global Hydrology Model, for instance)
- Linking recent runoff and sediment dynamics with paleoflood archives
- Hydrological modelling of dryland areas (WASA-SED)
- Installation and operation of hydrological observatories (e.g., Wettzell, TERENO-Northeast, SAGOS, AGGO, TIGO)
Since 2015 Joint appointment of GFZ and University of Potsdam as Professor for
Since 2003 Scientist at GFZ, Section 5.4 Hydrology
2002 Promotion (Dr. rer. nat.) in the field of geo-ecology/hydrology, Potsdam University.
Title of thesis:
Large-Scale Hydrological Modelling in the Semi-Arid North-East of Brazil
2002 Research scientist, University of Potsdam, Department of Geoecology
1997 - 2001 PhD student, Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research
1991 – 1997 Studies in Hydrology at the University of Freiburg, Germany.
Title of Diploma thesis:
Application of the rainfall-runoff model TOPMODEL in the Brugga basin
- HYGRA (The effect of water storage variations on in-situ gravity measurements and their use for hydrology)
- EGSIEM (European Gravity Service for Improved Emergency Management) (EU H2020)
- Helmholtz Alliance “Remote Sensing and Earth System Dynamics” (EDA),
Project Hydrosphere H3 "Development of GNSS reflectometry for soil moisture retrieval at the field scale and for global applications"
- WLDYN (Assessing the spatiotemporal dynamics of water volumes in large wetlands and lakes by combining remote sensing with macro-scale hydrological modelling) (DFG)
- HOSGO (Hydrological and oceanic signals in geodetic observations at the Argentine-German Geodetic Observatory (AGGO)) (BMBF)
2011 European Geosciences Union (EGU): Union Service Award
2005 American Geophysical Union (AGU) 2004 Editors’ Citation for Excellence in
Refereeing (Journal: Water Resources Research)
2004 Travel grant of the Wilhelm und Else Heraeus-Stiftung
2004 Award of the University Society Potsdam for the best PhD at Potsdam University in
the Academic Years 2002 / 2003
2002 Publication Award for Junior Scientists 2002 of Leibniz-Kolleg Potsdam