PostDoc position GEOZeit/HNLG preparation, scientist (f_m_x)
Reference Number 7168
The accelerated expansion of heat supply by means of geothermal systems should be environmentally safe in the long term and ensure sustainable usage. To this end, the Helmholtz Association is establishing the GeoLaB research infrastructure to validate corresponding technologies. The German Research Centre for Geosciences GFZ is responsible for the scientific perspective of this research.
In order to accompany the national energy transition and the required geological subsurface energy storage, a suitable organisational structure for a Helmholtz National Lab for GeoEnergy (HNLG) will be established with the involvement of industrial partners.
The HLNG will link the existing scientific infrastructures and demonstrators from geothermal energy and material storage (e.g. hydrogen) with scientific and technical research work. The focus is directed on concept development and support for coordinated, holistic use of the deep underground, joint efficient data structures and gaining public acceptance for innovative geotechnical projects.
The candidate with solid engineering expertise will play a central role in the development of various drilling engineering tasks for new geoscientific research projects and future demonstrators. She/he will support the development of drilling and reservoir development concepts for geothermal energy and hydrogen storage operations as part of different utilisation options of the deep underground. The tasks also include support in the development of reliable, cost-efficient and environmentally compatible technologies for the completion and long-term monitoring of wells.
- Development and preparation of technical concepts for geoscientific research projects and new subsurface demonstrators
- Project management and planning of industry-related project work, including tendering and preparation of operational plans
- Engineering designing skills and experience
- Presentation of results in project meetings, conferences and scientific journals as well as leading meetings and committees thereof
- Master's degree or equivalent degree in geological, geotechnical or petroleum engineering
- Experience with technical and operational planning, tendering and implementation of national and international drilling projects
- Sound knowledge of risk assessment of drilling operations and their safety and budget control
- Interest and experience in science-industry cooperations
- Good communication skills in German and English
What we offer:
- Ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Public service benefits
- Extensive training opportunities
- Professional career advice offered by our in-house Career-Centre
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Support with finding a good work-life balance offered by benefit@work
- Institute day-care centre on site
- Working at the Albert Einstein science park on the Telegrafenberg in Potsdam
- Work place within walking distance of Potsdam main train station, or just a short ride on the shuttle bus
Fixed-term: 3 years
Salary: The position is classed as salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group is determined on the basis of the Collective Wage Agreement and the respective personal qualifications.
Working hours: Full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is generally suitable for part-time work.
Place of work: Potsdam
Have we piqued your interest?
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics. Anyone who has been recognized as severely disabled, will be given preferential consideration in the event of equal suitability and qualification in accordance with the provisions of the German Social Code IX. If you have any questions, please contact our representative for the severely disabled at sbv[at]gfz-potsdam.de, who will be happy to assist you in the further application process. In case of further queries regarding gender equality, please do not hesitate to contact our Equal Opportunities Officer at gba[at]gfz-potsdam.de.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 b, Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with Art. 26 of the Data Protection Act for the State of Brandenburg. After completion of the procedure, application documents will be deleted in compliance with data protection regulations.