Plenary Talks by Members of Leibniz Society (MLS) and esteemed guests:
• Prof. Wenjiao Xiao, MLS Inaugural Lecture (IGG CAS Beijing / China) ‘New insights in the Altaids – Tethysides Amalgamation’
• Prof. A. M. Celal Sengör, MLS (ITU Istanbul / Turkey) ‘The Tectonics of the Altaids’
• Prof. James Jackson (Cambridge University / UK) ‘The role of lithospheric thickness variations in the active tectonics of Asia’
• Prof. Uwe Kroner (TUBAF Freiberg, Germany) ‘The assembly of Pangaea: the metallogeny of the orogens along the Rheic Suture’
Confirmed speakers (in alphabetic order):
1. Kind, R. MLS (GFZ Potsdam, Germany): Comparing the seismic structure of the mantle lithosphere of China, the USA and Central Europe.
2. Konopelko, D. (St. Petersburg U, Russia): Neoproterozoic South Tianshan basement metamorphosed in the early Carboniferous.
3. Martinez-Garzon, P., Bohnhoff, M. MLS, Heidbach, O. (GFZ Potsdam, Germany): Contemporary stress and strain field in the Mediterranean from stress inversion, GPS data and shear-wave splitting.
4. Mechie, J. (GFZ Potsdam, Germany): Growing the Tibet plateau - the view from the deep crust, Moho and upper mantle.
5. Müller, A. MLS (Oslo NHM, Norway), Seltmann, R. MLS (London, UK): The geotectonic setting and genesis of the giant Oyu Tolgoi Cu-Au porphyry district, Mongolia: A rare example of an "ancient" (Devonian) porphyrystyle deposit.
6. Parolai, S. (Trieste, Italy): The contribution of the Global Change Observatory Central Asia to seismic hazard assessment and risk mitigation.
7. Ratschbacher, L. (TUBAF Freiberg, Germany): Steady-state plate tectonics – unsteady orogeny: a view form Pamir-Tibet.
8. Safonova, I. (IGM RAS Novosibirsk, Russia): Tectonic erosion in the Central Asian Orogenic Belt.
9. Seltmann, R. MLS (NHM London, UK): Altaids metallogeny during 800 Ma and the jackpot at ~ 290 Ma.
10. Sobel, E. (U Potsdam, Germany), Kley, J. (Göttingen, Germany) & Pamir project team: A Triassic rift basin in the External Pamir - implications for Cenozoic intracontinental subduction.
11. Scheck-Wenderoth, M. (GFZ Potsdam, Germany): Present-day lithosphere configuration of the Alps and their forelands.
12. Strecker, M.R. (U Potsdam, Germany), Patyniak, M., Landgraf, A., Dzhumabaeva, A., Arrowsmith, R.: Neotectonics of the Pamir frontal thrust system: from earthquake ruptures to range-front segmentation
13. Wang, T. (Institute of Geology Chinese Academy og Geological Sciences, China): Orogenic Architecture and Crustal Growth from Accretion to Collision: Examples from the Central Asian Orogenic Belt and Kunlun-Qinling orogeny.
Tentative workshop schedule:
Thursday, June 27:
10:00 Welcome address
10:20 Plenary talk 1 (45+15min)
11:20 Talks (5 x 15+5min)
14:00 Plenary talk 2 (45+15min)
15:00 Coffee break
15:30 Talks (6x 15+5min)
17:30 End of program
19:00 Dinner in Potsdam
Friday, June 28:
09:00 Plenary talk 3 (45+15min)
10:00 Talks (2x15+5min, 20min)
10:40 Coffee break
11:00 Plenary lecture 4 (45+15 min)
12:00 Talks (2x15+5min, 20min)
12:40 General discussion
13:30 End of workshop/Lunch