Dr. Yosuke Hoshino
I have dual expertise in organic geochemistry and molecular biology. My scientific interests are at the intersection of these two fields.
- Evolution of membrane lipids in the three domains of life (e.g. terpenoids, sphingolipids, GDGTs)
- Reconstruction of Precambrian biospheres through lipid biomarker analyses
- Reconstruction of biogeochemical cycles through isotope analyses (e.g. position-specific isotope analysis [PSIA])
- Oxygenation history of Earth
I am an associate member of Australian Centre for Astrobiology (ACA).
My personal website is here.
- 2021 - Research scientist at GFZ Potsdam
- 2016 - 2021 Postdoctoral scientist at Georgia Institute of Technology and Georgia State University, Atlanta, USA
- 2015 - 2016 Postdoctoral scientist at Max Planck Institute for Biogeochemistry, Bremen, Germany
- 2006 - 2010 Opt-device engineer at Shimadzu Corporation, Kyoto, Japan
Werdegang / Ausbildung:
- 2015 PhD in geobiology, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia "Investigation of hydrocarbon biomarkers preserved in the Fortescue Group in the Pilbara Craton, Western Australia"
- MAdLand - Molecular adaptation to Land, plant evolution to change
- Evolutionary history of 2-methylhopanoid biosynthesis (HpnP)
- Evolution of the eukaryotic cell wall biosynthesis (particularly chitin)
- Paleoenzymology of S-adenosylmethionine synthase (MetK)
- Ancestral sequence reconstruction of the DNA polymerase protein family
- 2022 The Soehngen Institute of Anaerobic Microbiology (SIAM) Visiting Scholar Program
- 2018 Geochemical Society, Best 2015 paper in organic geochemistry award (French et al., PNAS 112: 5915–20)
- 2017 Agouron geobiology fellowship
- 2014 Student Councilor, International Society for the Study of the Origin of Life (ISSOL)
- 2013 Postgraduate Research Fund, Macquarie University, Australia