Prof. Dr. Susanne Buiter
Funktion und Aufgaben:
Wissenschaftliche Vorständin und Sprecherin des Helmholtz-Zentrums Potsdam - Deutsches GeoForschungsZentrum GFZ.
Karriere:2022 – present: Scientific director GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences in Potsdam
2020 – present: Professor for Tectonics and Geodynamics, RWTH Aachen University
2017 – 2020: Leader of the Team for Solid Earth Geology at the Geological Survey of Norway (NGU).
2012 – 2016: Leader of the Team for Geodynamics at NGU.
2010 – 2020: Adjunct Professor (20%), Centres of Excellence CEED/PGP, Oslo University
2006 – 2020: Senior researcher in Geodynamics at NGU (full-time).
2004 – 2006: Postdoctoral researcher Geodynamics, NGU.
2003 – 2004: Postdoctoral researcher Geodynamics, Dalhousie University, Canada.
2000 – 2003: Postdoctoral researcher Structural Geology, University of Bern, Switzerland.
Werdegang / Ausbildung:
Ph.D. in Tectonophysics at Utrecht University, The Netherlands. Thesis: Surface deformation resulting from subduction and slab detachment.
M.Sc. in Geophysics at Utrecht University. Thesis: Modelling the seismic velocity structure beneath southern Indonesia.
- Executive Board Member of the International Association for Structural Geology and Tectonics of the International Union of Geosciences IUGS (2022-present)
- Officer for the Commission on Tectonics and Structural Geology of the IUGS (2020-2022)
- Chair of the European Geosciences Union (EGU) Programme Committee (2017–2019)
- Review panels for the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (member), the Spanish National Research Council (member), the Dutch Research Council (chair) (2017, 2018, 2020)
- President of the Tectonics and Structural Geology Division (TS) of EGU (2013–2017)
- Member of the Long-Term Tectonics working group of the Computational Infrastructure for Geodynamics CIG, www.geodynamics.org (2016–2021)
- Programme Officer of the EGU TS and Geodynamics Divisions (2009–2013)
- Coordinator of pre-print server EGUsphere, www.egusphere.net (2021-present)
- Executive editor of Solid Earth, the open access journal of EGU (2019-present)
- Associate editor of Solid Earth Geophysics of Frontiers in Earth Sciences (2017–2020)
- Associate editor of Geological Magazine (2015–2022)
- Topical Editor of Solid Earth, the interactive open access journal of EGU (2009–2013)
- Co-editor of ‘Fifty Years of the Wilson Cycle Concept in Plate Tectonics’, R. Wilson, G. Housman, K. McCaffrey, T. Dore, S. Buiter (eds) 2019, Geol. Soc. London Spec. Publ. 470
- Editor of Special Issue ‘200 years of modelling across scales’, S.J.H. Buiter and A. Lang (eds), www.solid-earth.net/special_issue811.html (open access)
- Editor of Special Issue: ‘Subduction Zones’, S.J.H. Buiter, F. Funiciello, J. van Hunen (eds), 2013, Solid Earth 3-4, www.solid-earth.net/special_issue7.html (open access)
- Co-editor of ‘The Formation and Evolution of Africa – A Synopsis of 3.8 Ga of Earth History’, D.J.J. van Hinsbergen, S.J.H. Buiter, T.H. Torsvik, C. Gaina, S. Webb (eds), 2011, Geol. Soc. London Spec. Publ. 357
- Editor of Analogue and Numerical Modelling of Crustal-Scale Processes’: Buiter, S.J.H. and G. Schreurs (eds), 2006, Geol. Soc. London Spec. Publ. 253
- Responsible for twitter account of the Geological Survey of Norway (Dec. 2016–Aug. 2018)
- Set up the mentoring programme for EGU’s General Assembly (started 2017)
- Member EGU Outreach Committee (2014–2018)
- 23rd Int. conference deformation mechanisms, rheology and tectonics, Italy, 2022
- 19th Symposium Tectonics, Structural Geology and Crystalline Geology, Halle, 2022
- GeoMod, the Netherlands, 2021
- 2nd Young Researchers in Structural Geology and Tectonics Conference, France, 2018
- 15th Int. workshop modelling of mantle and lithosphere dynamics, Netherlands, 2017
- 21st Int. conference deformation mechanisms, rheology and tectonics, Scotland, 2017
- 20th Int. conference deformation mechanisms, rheology and tectonics, Germany, 2015
- 14th Int. workshop modelling of mantle and lithosphere dynamics, France, 2015
- The Norwegian Geological Winter meeting, Oslo, 2013
- GeoMod, Portugal, 2010
- 11th Int. workshop modelling of mantle and lithosphere dynamics, Switzerland, 2009
Organiser conferences and workshops
- Convener of >30 sessions at EGU, IGC and AGU since 2006
- Chair of the programme of the annual EGU General Assembly with 16,000-18,000 abstracts (2017-2020)
- 13th International workshop on modelling of mantle and lithosphere dynamics, ca. 100 participants, Torsvik, Werner, Buiter, Doubrovine, Bull-Aller, Dabrowski, Hønefoss, Norway, 2013
- Subduction meeting in EU MCRTN c2c, 40 participants, Trondheim, Norway, 2010
- 'Out of Africa: 140 years with Kevin Burke and Lew Ashwal’, 100 participants, Torsvik, Webb, Buiter, Werner, and Gaina, Johannesburg, South Africa, 2009
- Workshop on analogue and numerical modelling techniques at GeoMod2008, 70 participants, Buiter and Schreurs, Firenze, Italy, 2008
- ‘Geodynamics, Geomagnetism and Paleogeography: a 50 year celebration’, 65 participants, Redfield, Buiter, Smethurst, Trondheim, Norway, 2007
- GeoMod2004 conference on analogue and numerical modelling of geological processes, 120 participants, Bertotti, Buiter, Ruffo, Schreurs, Lake Lucerne, Switzerland, 2004
- Workshop on modelling techniques at GeoMod2004, 50 participants, Schreurs and Buiter, Switzerland, 2004
Union Service Award of the European Geosciences Union, 2022
Plenary Lectures at the CSDMS annual meeting in Boulder, USA (2019), the Dutch Earth Science Meeting (2018), the XVI Brazilian tectonics symposium & X international symposium on tectonics (2017), and the Swiss Geoscience Meeting (2017)
AGU 2017 editors’ citation for excellence in refereeing in G-cubed
Young Outstanding Scientist Award of the Norwegian Research Council, 2007