Funktion und Aufgaben:
My field of interest is refraction / wide-angle reflection seismology and how this method can be applied to determine the structure and evolution of the crust and upper mantle in tectonically interesting areas e.g. continental rifts and (recent) collisional zones. Much of my work has been concentrated in the Afro-Arabian rift system, the Variscides of Europe, the Urals, the Alps, the Andes and the Himalayas/Tibet (see complete list of publications
- 2021-present - following retirement, Guest Scientist - GeoForschungsZentrum (GFZ) Potsdam, Germany
- 1994-2020 - Research Scientist - GeoForschungsZentrum (GFZ) Potsdam, Germany
- 1980-1994 - Research Scientist - Karlsruhe University, Germany
- 1979-1980 - Research Associate - Birmingham University, U.K.
I am a member of the Geological Society of Glasgow.
From 1995-2004, I was also a member of the Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 267 - Deformation Processes in the Andes, involving the GeoForschungsZentrum (GFZ) Potsdam, the Free University Berlin, the Technical University Berlin and the University of Potsdam.
Werdegang / Ausbildung:
- 1980 - Ph.D. in Geophysics, University of Wales, U.K. (1980)
- 1976 - B.Sc. in Geology, Glasgow University, U.K.
Here is a list of recent projects, including links, in which I have been involved:
In addition I am working on crustal structure models for Germany and the Afro-Arabian rift system.
For older projects, see my publications list.