Funktion und Aufgaben:
siehe englische Seite
Analysis of seismic signals of both (local) earthquakes and controlled sources in order to study structure of and processes at active plate boundaries such as subduction zones and continental shear zones. Among the methods I use are local earthquake tomography, analysis of seismic attenuation, modelling of guided waves, and array and migration techniques. Much of my work is focussed on South America and the Middle East. Furthermore, I am interested in technical aspects of field experiments/data acquisition and seismic instruments.
Werdegang / Ausbildung:
- 1999 PhD (Dr. rer. nat., Free University of Berlin), Title: "Distribution of the Attenuation of Seismic Waves in the Western Central Andes" (in German)
- 1993 Diploma in Geophysics (Free University of Berlin), Title: "Transversalisotropie lamellierter Krustenbereiche bei refraktionsseismischen Untersuchungen"
- 1986 - 1993 Free University of Berlin & University of Hamburg - Geophysics
- 4D-MB - "Mountain Building in Four Dimensions" (PI of sub-project "Linking surface kinematics to deep structure of the Adriatic indenter near a potential subduction-polarity switch, the Giudicarie Belt (Southern Alps)" dealing with local earthquake tomography in the AlpArray/4D-MB context; PI of sub-project "Activity Field D – SWATH D: Providing seismological data for the SPP 4D-MB, A dense seismological station network in the Central and Eastern Alps"; DFG-funded; SPP 4D-MB 2017)
- MOSES - "Modular Observation Solutions for Earth Systems" (member of the Permafrost Thaw group; involved in development of (seismological) sensor platform; funded by Helmholtz Association)
- CaTeNA - "Climatic and Tectonic Natural Hazards in Central Asia" (PI of sub-project"Recent deformation in the Pamir mountain range based on seismic and geodetic data, dynamic landslide-susceptibility and risk analysis, and seismic imaging of the North Pamir Thrust" dealing with shallow seismic imaging together with paleoseismological trenching; BMBF-funded)
- GEO-DATA-NODE-GFZ - "Ausbau eines fachspezifischen Knotenpunkts in einer Nationalen Dateninfrastruktur" (Project dealing with data management and the life-cycle of data in GIPP, GEOFON and GFZ; BMBF-funded)
- THICNES - "The Highland-Vijayan Contact Zone Experiment in Sri Lanka" (temporary seismic network in Sri Lanka; funded by Geological Survey and Mines Bureau (GSMB; Sri Lanka) and GFZ)
- West Makran Seismic Transect (Refraction seismic experiment in Makran, Iran; funded by International Institute of Earthquake Engineering and Seismology (IIEES, Iran) and GFZ)
- SIOLA - "SeIsmicity and neOtectonics of the LAptev sea region" (seismotectonic study of the Laptev Sea region; funded by AWI Bremerhaven, GFZ and Uni Potsdam)
- Member of the Deutsche Geophysikalische Gesellschaft (DGG), the American Geophysical Union (AGU) and the Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG)
- Reviewer for Nature Geosciences, Tectonophysics, Geophysical Research Letters (GRL), Journal of Geophysical Research (JGR), Geophysical Journal International (GJI), Journal of Seismology, ...; reviewer of several international funding agencies
- Elected member of the GFZ Internal Scientific Council (since 2016).