Postdoctoral Research Scientist (f_m_x) – Machine Learning based Flood Damage Assessment
Reference Number 6170
The Section Hydrology at the GFZ searches for a Postdoctoral Researcher to work in the Helmholtz AI Project “(Semi/Un)supervised machine learning flood damage assessment” and on flood damage assessment in Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam.
We seek a postdoctoral research scientist with expertise in machine learning, databases and programming. The postdoctoral researcher is expected to work on flood damage data acquisition and statistical analyses with a focus on automatization of analyses and modelling.
- Develop a workflow from flood damage data acquisition, quality control to database integration and analyses
- Analyse flood damage data with ML and Bayesian approaches
- Apply flood damage models for flood risk assessment
- Collaborate closely with external partners and in an interdisciplinary context
- Present, publish and communicate research results at scientific meetings and in scholarly journals
- Master's degree and PhD in Geoinformatics, Data Sciences, Environmental Sciences or related fields (Physics, Mathematics)
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge in Machine learning, Bayesian approaches, geo-statistics and application of statistical models
- Advanced programming skills (Python, R, …)
- Experience with version control (Git) and relational databases (PostgreSQL)
- Expertise in flood risk assessment is beneficial
- Capacity for interdisciplinary teamwork and excellent communication skills
- Ability to communicate in English fluently (German language command is helpful but not mandatory)
Fixed-term: 2 years
Salary: The position is classed as salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group is determined on the basis of the Collective Wage Agreement and the respective personal qualifications.
Working hours: Full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is generally suitable for part-time work.
Place of work: Potsdam
What we offer:
- Ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Public service benefits
- Extensive training opportunities
- Professional career advice offered by our in-house Career-Centre
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Support with finding a good work-life balance offered by benefit@work
- Institute day-care centre on site
- Working at the Albert Einstein science park on the Telegrafenberg in Potsdam
- Work place within walking distance of Potsdam main train station, or just a short ride on the shuttle bus
Have we piqued your interest?
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics. Anyone who has been recognized as severely disabled, will be given preferential consideration in the event of equal suitability and qualification in accordance with the provisions of the German Social Code IX. If you have any questions, please contact our representative for the severely disabled at sbv[at]gfz-potsdam.de, who will be happy to assist you in the further application process. In case of further queries regarding gender equality, please do not hesitate to contact our Equal Opportunities Officer at gba[at]gfz-potsdam.de.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 b, Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with Art. 26 of the Data Protection Act for the State of Brandenburg. After completion of the procedure, application documents will be deleted in compliance with data protection regulations.