Researcher (post-doc) in Forest and Carbon Assessments (f_m_x)
Reference Number 8639
We strive to establish remote sensing as a core method for Earth Sciences and geo- and nature-based solutions. The succesful candidate will be able to draw from the broad expertise and projects within the section, enhance collaboration and contribute to an innovative environment for a diverse group of people and ideas.
Within this position you will focus on improving tropical forest and carbon monitoring and assessments using a combination of on-the ground and Earth Observation data and work in the context of different national settings and is expected to engage with different international partners (i.e. ESA Biomass CCI, GFOI) and initiatives. The researcher will further contribute innovative ideas as part of several research project and be an active member of the Remote Sensing and Geoinformatics Section of the German Research Center for Geosciences (GFZ). Do you want to know more about our work? Check out our page with news, recent publications, and projects.
- The application of different datasets, data processing, and analysis for large area and country-level assessments of forest carbon stock stocks, and changes
- Development of new EO approaches that can improve forest monitoring
- Engagement in international research partnership and work with tropical country stakeholders and interaction with professionals /societal partners in the development of research and outreach
- Master`s degree and a Ph.D. degree (or an almost completed Ph.D. degree in addition to the Master`s degree) with a proven international scientific track record in the field of forest remote sensing and carbon monitoring, large-area data analysis and statistics methods in integration ground- and satellite based measurements or a closely related scientific field
- International scientific profile with a proven scientific track record and research vision that she/he can pursue as part of this researcher position
- Statistical knowledge for the integration and error propagation from field and satellite measurements to improve estimations
- Openness for collaborative research and connecting different fields
What we offer:
- Ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Public service benefits
- Extensive training opportunities
- Professional career advice offered by our in-house Career-Centre
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Support with finding a good work-life balance offered by benefit@work
- Institute day-care centre on site
- Working at the Albert Einstein science park on the Telegrafenberg in Potsdam
- Work place within walking distance of Potsdam main train station, or just a short ride on the shuttle bus
Fixed-term: 36 months
Salary: The position is classed as salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group is determined on the basis of the Collective Wage Agreement and the respective personal qualifications.
Working hours: Full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is generally suitable for part-time work.
Place of work: Potsdam
Have we piqued your interest?
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics. Anyone who has been recognized as severely disabled, will be given preferential consideration in the event of equal suitability and qualification in accordance with the provisions of the German Social Code IX. If you have any questions, please contact our representative for the severely disabled at sbv[at]gfz-potsdam.de, who will be happy to assist you in the further application process. In case of further queries regarding gender equality, please do not hesitate to contact our Equal Opportunities Officer at gba[at]gfz-potsdam.de.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 b, Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with Art. 26 of the Data Protection Act for the State of Brandenburg. After completion of the procedure, application documents will be deleted in compliance with data protection regulations.