PhD student (f_m_x) metamorphic Sn mineralization and ore deposits
Reference Number 8298
Section 3.1 “Inorganic and Isotope Geochemistry” of the GFZ Potsdam offers a doctoral student position in the framework of the DFG-funded Priority Program “Dynamics of Ore Metals Enrichment – DOME” (SPP 2238). The selected person will be enrolled at the University of Potsdam during the contract period. The aim of the project is to decipher the sedimentary and tectonic-metamorphic history of tin-rich metasediments in accretionary wedge settings, to gain new insights into processes of fluid-driven metamorphic tin enrichment. Results of the project are envisaged to shed light on the roles of metamorphic versus sedimentary tin pre-enrichment in the protoliths of tin granites and their related Sn ore deposits.
- Conduct research on Sn distribution and Sn mobilization during prograde metamorphism
- Fieldwork in the Variscan orogen of Central Europe (Germany /Czech Republic / Poland)
- Evaluate the roles of tectonic reworking and fluid-rock interaction on Sn mobility in metamorphic rocks
- Investigate links between microtextures, mineral zoning, regional structural geology, and Sn enrichment
- Utilize advanced geochemical and geochronological techniques (LA-ICP-MS, TIMS, pXRF, MC-ICP-MS etc)
MSc (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline of geoscience
- Profound interest in ore formation and geochemistry
- Experience with analytical work in geochemistry and/or petrology
- Good written and oral English language skills
- Good at collaborating with others, but also able to work independently
- Ability and willingness to conduct fieldwork
- Programming skills applicable to processing of analytical data would be beneficial
What we offer:
- Ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Public service benefits
- Extensive training opportunities
- Professional career advice offered by our in-house Career-Centre
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Support with finding a good work-life balance offered by benefit@work
- Institute day-care centre on site
- Working at the Albert Einstein science park on the Telegrafenberg in Potsdam
- Work place within walking distance of Potsdam main train station, or just a short ride on the shuttle bus
Fixed-term: 3 years
Salary: The position is classed as salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group is determined on the basis of the Collective Wage Agreement and the respective personal qualifications.
Working hours: Part-time 75% (currently 29.25 h/week)
Place of work: Potsdam
Have we piqued your interest?
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics. Anyone who has been recognized as severely disabled, will be given preferential consideration in the event of equal suitability and qualification in accordance with the provisions of the German Social Code IX. If you have any questions, please contact our representative for the severely disabled at sbv[at]gfz-potsdam.de, who will be happy to assist you in the further application process. In case of further queries regarding gender equality, please do not hesitate to contact our Equal Opportunities Officer at gba[at]gfz-potsdam.de.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 b, Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with Art. 26 of the Data Protection Act for the State of Brandenburg. After completion of the procedure, application documents will be deleted in compliance with data protection regulations.