PostDoc position (f_m_x) - Aggregation and exploration of large climate data sets
Reference Number 7806
We are searching for a PostDoc candidate to improve the usability of large climate data sets. The project will help to make future climate ensemble simulations more efficient by removing redundant information in a physically consistent way. The Earth System Modelling Section at GFZ is responsible for the development of numerical models of large-scale mass transport processes in the Earth’s geosphere. The successful candidate is expected to perform a wide range of numerical simulations as well as physically constrained data science and data analysis tasks.
- Develop physics based nonlinear aggregation of large climate model ensemble data
- Design, execute, and evaluate scenarios to establish the limits of the aggregation method
- Improve the robustness and usability of the aggregation method
- Statistical analysis of residuals and forecast errors arising from deficits in the aggregation method and its application
- Collaborative work in a highly interdisciplinary and international team
- Presentation of your results at international conferences and project meetings
- Publication of your results in international scientific journals
- Master`s degree or equivalent and PhD degree in physics, meteorology, geosciences, or a related field
- Strong skills in scientific programming with Python or R and Fortran
- Experience with numerical Earth system models
- Good command of English language
What we offer:
- Ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Public service benefits
- Extensive training opportunities
- Professional career advice offered by our in-house Career-Centre
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Support with finding a good work-life balance offered by benefit@work
- Institute day-care centre on site
- Working at the Albert Einstein science park on the Telegrafenberg in Potsdam
- Work place within walking distance of Potsdam main train station, or just a short ride on the shuttle bus
Fixed-term: 24 months
Salary: The position is classed as salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group is determined on the basis of the Collective Wage Agreement and the respective personal qualifications.
Working hours: Full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is generelly suitable for part-time work.
Place of work: Potsdam
Have we piqued your interest?
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics. Anyone who has been recognized as severely disabled, will be given preferential consideration in the event of equal suitability and qualification in accordance with the provisions of the German Social Code IX. If you have any questions, please contact our representative for the severely disabled at sbv[at]gfz-potsdam.de, who will be happy to assist you in the further application process. In case of further queries regarding gender equality, please do not hesitate to contact our Equal Opportunities Officer at gba[at]gfz-potsdam.de.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 b, Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with Art. 26 of the Data Protection Act for the State of Brandenburg. After completion of the procedure, application documents will be deleted in compliance with data protection regulations.