Researcher (post-doc) in Tropical Forest Monitoring and Carbon Assessments (f_m_x)
Reference Number 7037
The section strives to establish remote sensing as a core method for Earth Sciences and geo- and nature-based solutions. The candidate will be able to draw from the broad expertise and projects within the section, enhance collaboration and contribute to an innovative environment for a diverse group of people and ideas. Do you want to know more about our work? Check out our page with news, recent publications, and projects.
The candidate is expected to focus on improving tropical forest and carbon monitoring and assessments using Earth Observation data.
- The application of different datasets, data processing, data visualization and analysis for large area assessments on of carbon stock changes in degraded and regrowing (sub-)tropical forests
- Cooperation with different international partners (i.e. WRI, CIAT) and initiatives in the context of different national settings
- Contribution to innovative ideas as part of several research projects of the Remote Sensing and Geoinformatics Section
- A Master`s degree or equivalent, a proven scientific track record and research vision that she/he can pursue as part of this researcher position
- A Ph.D. degree (or almost completed) with a proven international scientific track record in the field of forest remote sensing and carbon monitoring, large-area data analysis (incl. cloud computing) or a closely related scientific field
- A vision of how new EO approaches can improve tropical forest monitoring
- Experiences in working in international research partnerships (i.e. IPCC) and projects
- An open mind for collaborative research and connecting different fields
- Keen to engage in international research partnership and work with tropical country stakeholders
- An international scientific profile and can interact with professionals and societal partners in the development of research and outreach
What we offer:
- Ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Public service benefits
- Extensive training opportunities
- Professional career advice offered by our in-house Career-Centre
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Support with finding a good work-life balance offered by benefit@work
- Institute day-care centre on site
- Working at the Albert Einstein science park on the Telegrafenberg in Potsdam
- Work place within walking distance of Potsdam main train station, or just a short ride on the shuttle bus
Fixed-term: post-doc researcher position for 4 years
Salary: assessed as being salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost).” The salary group will be determined by the conditions of the collective wage agreement and the appropriate personal qualifications.
Working hours: full-time (currently 39 h/week); the position is, in principle, suitable for part-time employment.
Place of work: Potsdam
Have we piqued your interest?
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics. Anyone who has been recognized as severely disabled, will be given preferential consideration in the event of equal suitability and qualification in accordance with the provisions of the German Social Code IX. If you have any questions, please contact our representative for the severely disabled at sbv[at]gfz-potsdam.de, who will be happy to assist you in the further application process. In case of further queries regarding gender equality, please do not hesitate to contact our Equal Opportunities Officer at gba[at]gfz-potsdam.de.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 b, Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with Art. 26 of the Data Protection Act for the State of Brandenburg. After completion of the procedure, application documents will be deleted in compliance with data protection regulations.