PhD position (f_m_x)
Reference Number 6995
We are searching for a PhD candidate to improve an existing numerical model of the terrestrial branch of the global water cycle to fit geodetic requirements for use in global mass variation and Earth rotation studies. In cooperation with the Space Research Centre of the Polish Academy of Sciences (Warszaw), the team at GFZ is responsible for the development of numerical models of large-scale mass transport processes in the Earth’s geophysical fluids to predict mass variations that will be subsequently converted into gravity field and Earth rotation changes. The successful candidate is expected to perform a wide range of hydrological model simulations forced with either high-resolution deterministic weather forecasts or ensemble-based seasonal predictions.
- Refinement of a numerical model of the global terrestrial water cycle
- Design, execute, and evaluate numerous model simulations with different initial states and under different atmospheric forcing conditions
- Statistical analysis of residual forecast errors arising from deficits in either the numerical model or the applied atmospheric forecasts
- Collaborative work in a highly interdisciplinary and international team
- Presentation of your results at international conferences and project meetings
- Publication of your results in international scientific journals
- M.Sc. degree in physics, meteorology, hydrology, geodesy, or a related field
- Strong skills in scientific programming with Python and Fortran
- Experience with numerical Earth system models will be advantageous
- Good command of the English language
What we offer:
- Ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Public service benefits
- Extensive training opportunities
- Professional career advice offered by our in-house Career-Centre
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Support with finding a good work-life balance offered by benefit@work
- Institute day-care centre on site
- Working at the Albert Einstein science park on the Telegrafenberg in Potsdam
- Work place within walking distance of Potsdam main train station, or just a short ride on the shuttle bus
Fixed-term: 36 months
Salary: The position is classed as salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group is determined on the basis of the Collective Wage Agreement and the respective personal qualifications.
Working hours: Part-time 75% (currently 29.25 h/week)
Place of work: Potsdam
Have we piqued your interest?
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics. Anyone who has been recognized as severely disabled, will be given preferential consideration in the event of equal suitability and qualification in accordance with the provisions of the German Social Code IX. If you have any questions, please contact our representative for the severely disabled at sbv[at]gfz-potsdam.de, who will be happy to assist you in the further application process. In case of further queries regarding gender equality, please do not hesitate to contact our Equal Opportunities Officer at gba[at]gfz-potsdam.de.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 b, Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with Art. 26 of the Data Protection Act for the State of Brandenburg. After completion of the procedure, application documents will be deleted in compliance with data protection regulations.