Doctoral student (f_m_x) in the EU MSCA Doctoral Network "EnvSeis"
Reference Number 6625
The Doctoral Network “Studying the Earth’s surface with seismic methods” (EnvSeis) is funded by the European Commission’s Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions. Bringing together 10 leading research groups from 7 countries, EnvSeis will support 12 early stage researchers in the emerging field of environmental seismology, in which seismic methods are used to study processes at or near the Earth's surface, such as landsliding, river sediment transport, debris flows, and glacial and marine processes. The projects in EnvSeis are connected by a common methodology and joined training and networking activities. More information can be found on the website www.envseis.eu.
We invite you to apply for an ESR position in the network. If you wish to be considered for more than one of the doctoral projects, then please indicate this in your application, with the order of preference. Applicability follows the mobility rules of the European Commission’s Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions Doctoral Networks. Candidates must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the host country of the EnvSeis project for which they apply for more than 12 months in the 36 months immediately before the recruitment date. In addition, an extended secondment (at least 6 months) abroad is required.
The EnvSeis project “Seasonality of erosion and mass transfers in distinct climatic regimes” will be located at the GFZ. In this project, data from seismic networks covering entire landscapes will be used to determine the timing and location of geomorphic activity in the context of annual weather cycles, to track sediment production and routing, and to specify the role of seasonality in landscape dynamics and sediment fluxes. The project will focus on mountain regions with pronounced and different seasonal weather patterns, with a possible focus on the Alps, Nepal, Taiwan and southern Chile.
- Design and conduct an independent research project
- Deploy and maintain seismic and meteorological instruments
- Seismic and environmental data extraction, quality control and analysis
- Develop a framework for seasonality in geomorphic systems
- Cooperation with national and international partners
- MSc or equivalent in physical geography, geosciences, engineering, physics or related fields
- Interest in Earth surface processes
- Affinity with fieldwork (in remote locations)
- Strong analytical skills
- An aptitude to work with time series data (previous experience with seismic data is an advantage)
- Willingness and ability to work in an interdisciplinary and international team
- Willingness to spend time on extended secondments (>6 months) abroad
- Scripting skills in Matlab, Python, R or other languages are an advantage
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English
What we offer:
- Ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Public service benefits
- Extensive training opportunities
- Professional career advice offered by our in-house Career-Centre
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Support with finding a good work-life balance offered by benefit@work
- Institute day-care centre on site
- Working at the Albert Einstein science park on the Telegrafenberg in Potsdam
- Work place within walking distance of Potsdam main train station, or just a short ride on the shuttle bus
Fixed-term: 3 years
Salary: Depends on family status and will be around 2000€/month net
Working hours: Full-time (currently 39 h/week)
Place of work: Potsdam
Have we piqued your interest?
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics. Anyone who has been recognized as severely disabled, will be given preferential consideration in the event of equal suitability and qualification in accordance with the provisions of the German Social Code IX. If you have any questions, please contact our representative for the severely disabled at sbv[at]gfz-potsdam.de, who will be happy to assist you in the further application process. In case of further queries regarding gender equality, please do not hesitate to contact our Equal Opportunities Officer at gba[at]gfz-potsdam.de.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 b, Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with Art. 26 of the Data Protection Act for the State of Brandenburg. After completion of the procedure, application documents will be deleted in compliance with data protection regulations.