Postdoc position (f_m_x)
Reference Number 6377
We are searching for a postdoc candidate to apply machine learning techniques to problems of climate science, Earth observation and numerical Earth system modelling. The candidate will help to improve modelling, data assimilation and observation inversion of Earth sub-systems as the oceans, solid Earth or the terrestrial hydrosphere by using state-of-the-art methods of big data and machine learning.
- Statistical modelling and inversion of global Earth sub-systems
- Analysis of large data sets of modelled geophysical systems
- Development of machine learning applications
- Processing and analysis of geodetic observations
- Scientific work in an interdisciplinary team
- Presentation and publication of your results
- Master`s degree or equivalent and PhD degree in geosciences, physics or mathematics
- Experience with big data and machine learning
- Climate science or physics based background will be advantageous
- Strong skills in programming and statistical software, e.g., R, Python, Julia
- Experience with Earth system observations will be advantageous
- Good English language skills
What we offer:
- Ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Public service benefits
- Extensive training opportunities
- Professional career advice offered by our in-house Career-Centre
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Support with finding a good work-life balance offered by benefit@work
- Institute day-care centre on site
- Working at the Albert Einstein science park on the Telegrafenberg in Potsdam
- Work place within walking distance of Potsdam main train station, or just a short ride on the shuttle bus
Fixed-term: 36 months
Salary: The position is classed as salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group is determined on the basis of the Collective Wage Agreement and the respective personal qualifications.
Working hours: Full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is generally suitable for part-time work.
Place of work: Potsdam
Have we piqued your interest?
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics. Anyone who has been recognized as severely disabled, will be given preferential consideration in the event of equal suitability and qualification in accordance with the provisions of the German Social Code IX. If you have any questions, please contact our representative for the severely disabled at sbv[at]gfz-potsdam.de, who will be happy to assist you in the further application process. In case of further queries regarding gender equality, please do not hesitate to contact our Equal Opportunities Officer at gba[at]gfz-potsdam.de.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 b, Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with Art. 26 of the Data Protection Act for the State of Brandenburg. After completion of the procedure, application documents will be deleted in compliance with data protection regulations.