PostDoc (f_m_x) Hydrogravimetry
Reference Number 6245
Terrestrial and satellite gravimetry offers a unique integrative view on variations of water storage from local to global scales. In our team, we perform continuous and time-lapse gravimetry with the latest technology such as absolute quantum gravimeters and field-based superconducting gravimeters, in combination with various hydrological and geophysical observation methods. Furthermore, GFZ is the co-lead of the ongoing satellite gravity mission GRACE-FollowOn and one of its principle processing centres. We seek a postdoctoral researcher to strengthen our team in developing innovative technical solutions, scientific applications and data products from terrestrial and/or satellite gravimetry for the fields of hydrological process research, water resources assessment, and dynamics of extreme events.
- Design, operation and analysis of field monitoring campaigns with terrestrial gravimeters and with complementary hydrological monitoring techniques
- Signal processing and signal separation of time-variable gravity data (satellite- and ground-based) for hydrological applications
- Use of gravimetric data for improving the understanding of, e.g., hydrological processes, groundwater resources and hydrological extremes at a local, regional and/or global scale
- Contributions to the design and maintenance of data management infrastructure for gravity-related and for other hydrological data products
- Support and own initiatives for writing third-party funding proposals
- Close collaboration with technicians, PhD students and scientists at various national and international institutions
- Presenting, publishing and communicating results at international conferences and in scientific journals
- PhD in hydrology, geodesy, geophysics, environmental sciences or similar disciplines
- Good understanding of hydrological processes
- Knowledge of the principles of gravimetry for geophysical applications
- Proven experience with terrestrial and/or satellite-based gravimetry is an asset
- Advanced programming skills (preferably Python or R)
- Experience with version control (Git)
- Experience with databases (e.g., PostgreSQL) and data management infrastructure
- Fluency in English (written and oral)
- Willingness to work in an interdisciplinary and international environment
- Willingness to work in the field
- Driver’s license
What we offer:
- Ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Public service benefits
- Extensive training opportunities
- Professional career advice offered by our in-house Career-Centr
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Support with finding a good work-life balance offered by benefit@work
- Institute day-care centre on site
- Working at the Albert Einstein science park on the Telegrafenberg in Potsdam
- Work place within walking distance of Potsdam main train station, or just a short ride on the shuttle bus
Fixed-term: 3 years
Salary: The position is classed as salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group is determined on the basis of the Collective Wage Agreement and the respective personal qualifications.
Working hours: Full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is generally suitable for part-time work.
Place of work: Potsdam
Have we piqued your interest?
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics. Anyone who has been recognized as severely disabled, will be given preferential consideration in the event of equal suitability and qualification in accordance with the provisions of the German Social Code IX. If you have any questions, please contact our representative for the severely disabled at sbv[at]gfz-potsdam.de, who will be happy to assist you in the further application process. In case of further queries regarding gender equality, please do not hesitate to contact our Equal Opportunities Officer at gba[at]gfz-potsdam.de.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 b, Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with Art. 26 of the Data Protection Act for the State of Brandenburg. After completion of the procedure, application documents will be deleted in compliance with data protection regulations.