Dr. Sergiy Vorogushyn
Function and Responsibilities:
Senior Scientist in Section "Hydrology"
- Flood risk analyses
- Hydrodynamic modelling
- Flood defense reliability analyses
- Hydrological change and attribution
- Flood Impact Forecasting
- 2004 - 2008 PhD Researcher in Section Hydrology at the GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences, Potsdam
- since 2008 Researcher in Section Hydrology at the GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences, Potsdam
- 01/2012 - 12/2018 Administrative and Scientific Coordinator in Department 5: Geoarchives
- 01/2019 - 12/2020 Administrative and Scientific Coordinator for POFIV, Topics 1, 2, 5 and Coordinator of the Direktorium
- since 01/2021 Administrative and Scientific Coordinator for POFIV, Topics 1, 2, 5 and Synthesis and Communication Plattform (SynCom)
- 1998 - 2004 Studies in the Internation Course "Environmental and Resource Management" at the Brandenburg University of Technology, Cottbus
- 2000/2001 Semester abroad at the Vienna University of Technology, Austria
- 2002/2003 Semester abroad at the Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
- 2004 - 2008 Doctoral student in the Section "Hydrology" at GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences, Potsdam
- 11/2008 Doctoral Degree (Dr. rer. nat.) at the University Potsdam.Thesis: "Flood hazard assessment under consideration of dike breaches"
- 2015 The Helmholtz Leadership Academy, Programme „Lateral Leadership“
- 2016 Management Audit by Egon Zehnder
ETN System Risk - a large-scale systems approach to flood risk assessment and management.
SuMaRiO - Sustainable Management of River Oases along the Tarim River
GlaSCA-V: Changes in Glacier and Snow-melt runoff components in Central Asia and societal Vulnerability
Research Boards and Committees:Member of the European Geosciences Union (EGU)
Member of the International Association of Hydrological Sciences (IAHS)
- Prize für for the best Young Scientist Talk at the 11th Forum for Disaster Reduction, German Committee for Disaster Reduction (DKKV), Potsdam, 18.-19. January 2011
- DAAD Scholarship for the International Course of Studies "Environmental and Resource Management", BTU Cottbus, 10/1998 - 09/2001.
- “Flood risk along protected rivers: do we really know the risk?” - Future Cities: Challenges for the Earth Sciences, Geo.X-Jahrestagung "Future Cities: Challenges for the Earth Sciences", Potsdam, June 20th, 2011.
- "Probabilistic flood hazard and risk assessment considering the failures of flood protection structures", Kolloqium Institut für Physische Geographie, Universität Fribourg, Switzerland, October, 4th, 2011
- "Wasserbaumaßnahmen: Einfluss auf Hochwassertrends, Extremwertstatistik und Hochwasserrisiko", DFG-Rundgespräch, Bochum, Oktober 2nd, 2013.
- "Flood risk assessment and dike failures - Towards probabilistc flood mapping and systemic risk" TRUMPS Workshop, EURAC Research Centre, Bolzano, Italy, February, 27th, 2014.
- "On the impact of river training and levee failures on changes in flood trends and inundation risk", ERC Symposium on Regional Floods Effects of Changes in the River System, TU Vienna, Austria, October 13-14th, 2015.
- "1+1 ≠ 2 in flood risk calculus: on the role of spatial interactions in flood risk assessment and management", IAHS 7th international Water Resources Management Conference, Bochum, Mai 18th, 2016.
- "The role of interactions along the flood process chain and implications for risk assessment", EGU2017 General Assembly, Session HS2.1.1 “Hydrological extremes”, Vienna, Austria, April 26th, 2017.
- "Expect the Unexpected: Systems approach to gauge flood risk", University of Stuttgart, Institute Seminar, Chair for Stochastic Simulations and Safety Research for Hydrosystems, Prof. W. Nowak, June 18th, 2018.
- „Analyse des Juli-Hochwassers im Ahrtal: Extremwertstatistik, hydrologische Prozesse, Gefährdungssimulation“, Workshop on Hydrometeorology of the German Meteorological Society, June 23rd, 2022, online.
„Extreme Hochwasse-ereignisse und daraus resultierende Herausforderungen“, 20. Hochwasserschutzforum Region Rhein-Neckar, Mannheim, May, 24th, 2023.