Function and Responsibilities:
Head research group "Hyperspectral remote sensing applications", Section 1.4, GFZ, Lecturer in Remote Sensing.
EnMAP Science Principal Investigator
Head of the GFZ-Spectroscopy Laboratory
New developments in optical, NIR, SWIR and thermal imaging spectroscopy for geoscience and environmental applications:
- methodological approaches for the quantitative determination of soil properties and drylands surface parameters
- soil spectroscopy, digital soil mapping
- multi-scale analyses: from laboratory and field reflectance spectroscopy to Earth Observation sensors (airborne to satellite)
- Soil erosion and degradation processes
Head research group "Hyperspectral remote sensing applications", Section 1.4, Helmholtz Center Potsdam GFZ German Research Center for Geosciences, Potsdam, Germany. Lecturer in Remote Sensing. Head of the Spectroscopy Laboratory
Senior scientist, Section 1.4, Helmholtz Center Potsdam GFZ German Research Center for Geosciences, Potsdam, Germany. Lecturer in Remote Sensing. Head of the Spectroscopy Laboratory
Project scientist, Section 1.4, Helmholtz Center Potsdam GFZ German Research Center for Geosciences, Potsdam, Germany
Consultant, Observatoire Midi-Pyrénées / CNES, Toulouse, France
1997 – 2000
Research Associate, Center for the Study of Earth from Space/CIRES, University of Colorado, Boulder, USA
1996 – 1997
NOAA post-doctoral fellow, Center for the Study of Earth from Space/CIRES, University of Colorado, Boulder, USA
1994 – 1995
Teaching and Research Assistant, Paul Sabatier University, Toulouse, France
1991 – 1994
Research Assistant, Observatoire Midi-Pyrénées/ Paul Sabatier University, Toulouse, France
Ph.D. in Spectral geology, Paul Sabatier University, Toulouse, Très honorable avec félicitations du jury (summa cum laude). “Lithological discrimination using visible-infrared airborne imaging spectroscopy (AVIRIS data): Application to the Ronda peridotite massif, Spain”
D.E.A. (M.Sc.) Astrophysics, Geophysics and Space Techniques, Paul Sabatier University, Toulouse, France
License (B.Sc.) Physics, Paul Sabatier University, Toulouse, France
Current projects :
- “EnMAP – Environmental Mapping and Analysis Program”, A German hyperspectral satellite, BMBF (German Ministry of Research)/DLR, Launch end 2020, Science P.I. (since 2019), responsible for soil applications.
- "iCUPE - Integrative and Comprehensive Understanding on Polar Environments", ERA-PLANET Strand 4, The EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation, Horizon 2020, 2017-2020
- "MOSES – Modular Observation Solutions for Earth Systems: Characterization and monitoring of soil and vegetation responses to heatwave events based on thermal hyperspectral remote sensing”, Research infrastructure of the Helmholtz Association (Germany), 2017-2021
- "UAVSoil – UAV borne spectrometers for high resolution soil and crop monitoring”, Belspo STEREO III research project, 2018-2020
- "BopaBW - Oberflächennahe Bodenparameter Baden-Württemberg”, Copernicus-services BMWi, 2018-2020
- "MASOMED – MApping SOil variability within rainfed MEDiterranean agroecosystems using hyperspectral data”, Transnational Access Project EU-FP7 EUFAR2, 2017-2020
Finished projects :
- “PROSOIL – The evaluation of forthcoming satellites for mapping topsoil organic carbon in croplands”, Belspo STEREO III research project, 2016-2018
- "GeoArchives - Signals of Climate and Landscape Change preserved in Southern African GeoArchives”, BMBF SPACES program, 2013-2016.
- “SEDMEDHY – Soil Erosion Detection within MEDiterranean agricultural areas using HYperspectral data”, Transnational Access Project EU-FP7 EUFAR, 2011-2013.
- “EUFAR – European Facility for Airborne Research in Environmental and Geo-sciences”, EU-FP7, 2008-2013.
- “Dynamic mapping of bare soil and crop residues in Mediterranean agricultural areas using remote sensing time series”, Spanish ministry of science. 2008-2013.
- “DeSurvey – A Surveillance System for Assessing and Monitoring of Desertification”, EU-FP6, 2005-2011.
- “HYRESSA – Hyperspectral Remote Sensing in Europe”, EU-FP6, 2006-2007.
- “Spectral imaging in sediment cores, a new method tracing sensitively climatic changes: development of high-resolution proxies records of Aral Sea”, Helmholtz-DAAD fellowship 2005-2006.
- “INCAMAR: Integration of multispectral and hyperspectral information for the selection and characterization of change indicators in arid ecosystems. Basis for a monitoring program in the natural park Cabo de Gata-Nijar”, Spanish ministry of science. 2004-2007.
- “Quantification of near-surface processes in the context of land degradation for the characterisation of soil properties, erosion and water regime”, GFZ-Potsdam. 2003-2006.
- SAND -Spectral ANalysis of Dryland Degradation- hyperspectral satellite proposal for Global Desertification Assessment, submitted to ESA 2002, recommended and not funded
- “HYPERGEMME - Use of hyperspectral data for geological and mineralogical mapping of ophiolite massifs and mining environments (HYPERspectral pour la GEologie et Minéralogie de Massifs et Environnement miniers)”, French ministry of science. 2001-2003.
- “Limitations and possibilities of hyperspectral imagery today for environmental and geological applications”, CNES (French Space Center), 2001.
- “Identification and Mapping of Expansive Clay Soils in the Western U.S. Using Field Spectrometry and AVIRIS Hyperspectral Data”, Project leader, NASA/JPL. 1997-2000.
Research Boards and Committees:
Collective responsibility activities:
- Project leader: Science P.I. EnMAP satellite (since 2019), Leader GFZ MOSES-"Heatwave event chain" (since 2016), Co-P.I. iCUPE-H2020 ERA-PLANET project (since 2017)
- ESA committee member: Mission Advisory Group Sentinel-10 / CHIME candidate mission (since 2018), Mission Expert Group HIMEG/ Sentinel-10 (2017), Science team member satellite proposals EE9 (HYPEX-2, TMAX)
- Since 2014: Head research group "Hyperspectral remote sensing applications, ~10-15 junior & senior researchers
- Member of the EUFAR Transnational Access User Group Selection Panel, 2013-2018
- Co-chair ISPRS Commission VII/WG3 “Information extraction from hyperspectral data”, 2012-2016
- Member of the EnMAP Core and Science Team, Leader soil activities, since 2010
- Speaker Dryland Degradation program, POF-I (Program-oriented Research) Climate Variability and Human Habitat, 2004-2008
- Member of the French CNES advisory board for hyperspectral development (Groupe de Synthèse Hyperspectral)
- Capacity building responsibilities: Lecturer in Remote Sensing (Uni Potsdam, Free University Berlin), Regular guest lecturer in national and international courses, Advisor of PhDs and MSc students
- Responsible of the spectroscopy laboratory at GFZ Remote Sensing section
Scientific community activities:
- Conference organisation: Regular conference chair and science committee member, e.g. XVII SBSR 2013, 34th IGC 2012, IGARSS 2012, EARSeL Imaging Spectroscopy Workshops 2011, 2013, Soil spectroscopy workshops 2010, 2011
- Regular reviewer of national and international Habilitations, PhDs and MSc theses
- Regular reviewer of peer-review journals in Remote Sensing and Earth Sciences
- Regular reviewer of research announcement institutions (national and international)
- Journal Editor activities: Lead guest editor Special Issue on Quantitative Soil Spectroscopy, Applied and Environmental Soil Science, 2013
- Member of professional associations: e.g. EARSeL SIG-Imaging Spectroscopy, DesertNet*Germany, DesertNet International, ProFil -Professionalisierung für Frauen in Forschung und Lehre
- Scientific publications: Total of >180 scientific publications
2018 Selected member for the ESA Mission Advisory Group for the CHIME/ Sentinel-10 candidate mission
2018 Best paper Award, 9th Workshop on Hyperspectral Image and Signal Processing: Evolution in Remote Sensing (WHISPERS 2018), Amsterdam. https://doi.org/10.1109/WHISPERS.2018.8747219
2017 Lifetime Achievement Award (Marquis Who’s Who)
2017 Selected member for the ESA expert committee HIMEG/ Sentinel-10
2011 Hall of Fame Award
2008 – 2009 Selected for the 6. Version of the ProFiL Programm: Professionalisierung fuer Frauen in Forschung und Lehre: Mentoring - Training - Networking
1996 – 1997 NOAA Post-doctoral Stipendium
1991 – 1994 PhD Thesis Stipendium (Bourse MRT Ministère de la Recherche et de la Santé)