M. Sc. Nestor Eduardo Gaviria Lugo
Function and Responsibilities:
My research centers on answering the next question: How climate and vegetation changes impact earth surface processes like erosion and weathering?
I test my hypotheses using sediments from big catchments along the Chilean climatic gradient and marine sediments adjacent to the outlet of these catchments.
My main working tools are coding in R, python and matlab to analyze long term climatic and vegetation data. Additionally, I do wet chemistry labwork to obtain isotope data ( isotopes of C, Li, H, 10Be/9Be meteoric) from riverine and marine sediments. I also leverage on previous data from similar regions doing global compilations.
- Carbon cycle
- Applied data science
- Applied remote sensing to climate change
- Silicate weathering in the C cycle
- Climatic and vegetation changes
- Isotope geochemistry
- Feb 2019 - Currently Earth Surface Geochemistry, GFZ, Germany
- Oct 2016 - Dec 2018 MARUM, Universität Bremen, Germany
- Aug 2011 - Aug2016 Depto Geociencias, Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Colombia
- MSc. Marine Geosciences, Universität Bremen, Germany
- BSc. Geology, Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Colombia
Part of the DFG priority program Earth Shape.
In this project I'm a member of the SECCO team, where we are working together with Charlotte Läuchlii (FU Berlin) under the direction of Dr. Hella Wittmann(GFZ), Dr. Dirk Sachse(GFZ), Dr. Patrick Frings(GFZ) and Prof. Dr. Anne Bernhard (FU Berlin).