Prof. Dr. Michael Weber
Function and Responsibilities:
- since 2021 Emeritus
- since 1997 Professor of Geophysics, Univ. Potsdam and Head of Section Deep Geophysical Sounding, GFZ
- 2010 - 2016 Director of Department Physics of the Earth, GFZ
- 1994 - 1997 Assistant Professor, Seismology, Univ. Göttingen
- 1991 - 1993 Consultant, Teledyne Geotech Washington DC USA
- 1987 - 1994 Research Scientist, GFZ Potsdam & Seismolog. Central Obs.
Development & application of geophysical methods (seismics, seismology, magnetotelluric, modelling) for interdisciplinary connection with other geo-disciplines - with the aim to understand processes and for applications on scales ranging from plate tectonics to near surface processes. Applied aspects include the study of near surface processes, shale gas and geothermal reservoirs
Selected publications: Book: Theory of Elastic Wave
- 1994 Habilitation at the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, Germany; Analysis of inhomogeneities in the lower-most mantle with seismic methods.
- 1993 – 1994 Research scientist at the GFZ Potsdam; Study of crust and upper mantle with precursors of PP-phases.
- 1991 – 1994 Lecturer for geophysics at the Institut für Allgemeine und Angewandte Geophysik, Universität München.
- 1989 – 1993 Research scientist at the Seismologisches Zentralobservatorium Gräfenberg (SZGRF); Analysis of the 3-D structure of the Earth using GRF-Array data
- 1987 – 1994 Observatory seismologist at the Seismologisches Zentralobservatorium Gräfenberg (SZGRF), Erlangen, Germany.
- 1987 – 1989 Research scientist at the Institut für Meteorologie und Geophysik, Universität Frankfurt/M., Germany;
- 1983 – 1986 Ph.D. student in geophysics at Institut für Meteorologie und Geophysik, Universität Frankfurt/M; The Gaussian beam method for the computation of synthetic seismograms in absorbing inhomo-geneous media: test and application.
- 1982 – 1983 Graduate student (M.Sc.) in geophysics at Department of Geophysics, University of Toronto, Canada; The Gaussian beam method in seismology.
- 1981 – 1983 Study of geophysics at the University of Toronto, Canada.
- 1980 – 1981 Diploma student in physics/geophysics, Institut für Informationsverarbeitung, Universität Tübingen, Germany; Singularity theory for the study of layered media.
- 1974 – 1981 Study of physics at the University Tübingen.
German Reasearch Council (DFG)
German Reasearch Council (DFG)
German Ministry of Research and Technology (BMBF) Geotechnologien
Helmholtz Association (HGF)
- Young Scientists’ Publication Award 1991 of the European Geophysical Society (EGS)“ for the most outstanding contribution in the scientific journals of the EGS in 1990” for Evidence of a laterally variable lower mantle structure from P- and S-waves, Geophys. J. Int., 102, 231-255, 1990 (Co-author: J.P. Davis).
- Award of the German Geophysical Society for the presentation at the 49th Meeting of the German Geophysical Society, 1989”: Subduction zones – Their influence on travel times and amplitudes of seismic signals.
- 1982 - 1983 Scholarship of the World University Service of Canada
- 1981 - 1982 Scholarship of the German Academic Exchange Service