Function and Responsibilities:
Marco Bohnhoff is Head of Section 4.2, Geomechanics and Scientific Drilling 'at the GFZ Potsdam German Research Center for Geosciences and Professor of Experimental and Borehole Seismology in a joint appointment with the Free University Berlin. His research has a focus on the scale-invariant analysis of deformation processes involving studies on induced seismicity -the occurrence of earthquakes caused by human activities in the subsurface- and on natural earthquakes along tectonic plate boundaries, such as the North Anatolian Fault in Turkey.
After completing an apprenticeship as an energy systems electronics engineer with Bosch-Siemens-Hausgeräte GmbH, Hamburg, and studying geophysics, Marco Bohnhoff received his doctorate in geophysics from the University of Hamburg in 2000. His PhD thesis is entitled ‘Crustal structure of the Cretan region based on wide-angle seismic profiling'. Subsequently, he held the position of an Assistant Professor at the Department of Geophysics of the Ruhr University Bochum where he started teaching. At that time, he extended his field of research to passive monitoring of natural and induced seismicity. He was Principal Investigator of fluid injection experiments at the superdeep KTB borehole and implemented seismic monitoring networks in the southern Aegean region as part of the Collaborative Research Center SFB 526, Rheology of the Earth '.
Continuing his teaching career in Bochum, where he completed his habilitation in 2006, Marco Bohnhoff moved to the German Research Centre for Geosciences GFZ in Potsdam in 2003. Within the section ‘Deformation and Rheology’ he started a research group on studying earthquake physical process at reservoir and plate-tectonic scale. Between 2005 and 2008 he held the honorary post of Managing Director of the German Geophysical Society (DGG). During this time, he was associate editor of the ISI journal ‘Pure and Applied Geophysics’ for several years.
Between 2007-2009, Marco Bohnhoff was visiting scholar at the Institute of Geophysics at Stanford University (group of Prof. Zoback) in the frame of a Heisenberg fellowship from the German Research Foundation (DFG). At the same time he took part in a management training program in Germany as a member of the Helmholtz Academy, which he successfully completed in 2009 as a certified manager.
From 2010 to 2016, he was head of the Helmholtz-University Young Investigators Group "From Microseismicity to Large Earthquakes: Studies Related to Seismic Hazard Assessment, Carbon Sequestration and Sustainable Resource Management". At that time he was appointed as full professor at the Free University Berlin. Between 2013 and 2015 he was spokesman for the GFZ think tank. Until 2018 he was an Associate Editor of the AGU ‘Journal of Geophysical Research - Solid Earth '. In he was nominated to be chair of the Executive Committee of the International Scientific Continental Drilling Program ICDP. Since 2019 he is ICDP Executive Director. Bohnhoff is also an elected member of the Leibniz Society of Sciences Berlin.
His current research interests are deciphering earthquake physical processes in geological reservoirs and along tectonic plate boundaries. He is Principal Investigator of the ICDP-driven borehole-based Geophysical Observatory at the North Anatolian Fault (GONAF) in the Istanbul region. He is also a co-PI of a number of similar research projects in Koyna/India and within the STAR observatory in Italy.
Marco Bohnhoff currently has a World of Science h-index of 26 (google index 30) resulting from over 80 ISI publications, all of which have been published in peer-reviewed journals. He has raised about 13 million euros in third-party funding and supervised more than 10 PhD students all of which received a doctoral degree.
- Seismology; Seismomechanics, Geomechanics, Borehole Geophysics, Seismic Monitoring of induced seismicity; Earthquake physics, Seismotectonics, Seismic Cycle at the North Anatolian Fault Zone; Shear-wave anisotropy; Wide aperture seismics.
- 2006 Venia Legendi (Privat-Dozentur), Ruhr-University Bochum
- 2006 Habilitation in Geophysics (Dr. rer. nat. habil.), Ruhr-University Bochum
- 2000 PhD in Geophysics (Dr. rer. nat.), Hamburg University
- 1997 Diploma in Geophysics (MSc.), Hamburg University
- 1992 Job Training (Berufsausbildung) as Electronic Technician at Bosch-Siemens HG
- since 2019 Executive Director of the International Continental Scientific Drilling Program (ICDP)
- since 2019 Head of GFZ section 4.2 'Geomechanics and Scientific Drilling'
- since 2010 Professor for Experimental and Borehole Seismology at Freie Universität Berlin
- 2017-2018 Head of GFZ section 4.2 'Geomechanics and Rheology'
- 2013-2016 Head of GFZ-working group 'Experimental and Borehole Seismology' within section 4.2
- 2013-2015 Spokesman of GFZ think tank
- 2010-2016 Head of Young Investigators Group (YIG) 'From Microseismicity to Large Earthquakes: Studies Related to Seismic Hazard Assessment, Carbon Sequestration and Sustainable Resource Management'
- 2007-2009 Member of 'Helmholtz-Akademie für Nachwuchs-Führungskräfte‘ performed by Malik Management Zentrum St. Gallen
- 2007-2009 Visiting Scholar at Department of Geophysics, Stanford University
- 2003-2007 Research Scientist at Helmholtz-Zentrum Potsdam Deutsche GeoForschungsZentrum GFZ in Section 3.2 ‚Geomechanics and Rheology‘
- 2000-2003 Assistant Professor (C1) at the chair of Geophysics (Prof. Harjes) at U Bochum
- 1997-2000 Scientist(Wiss. Mitarbeiter) at Hamburg University within the DFG priority program KTB-ICDP
- 2018 Elected member of the Leibniz-Sozietät der Wissenschaften zu Berlin e.V.
- 2007 Heisenberg-Fellowship awarded by Deutschen ForschungsGemeinschaft (DFG)
Geophysical Field Campaigns / Projects:
- GONAF (Geophysical Downhole Observatory at the North Anatolian Fault), ICDP project, Principal Investigator, see www.gonaf-network.org
- ICDP-STAR: A Strainmeter Array along the Alto Tiberina Fault System, Italy.
- PIRES (Princes Islands real-time permanent seismic network), Princes Islands/NW Turkey, Principal Investigator
- ICDP-Koyna: Probing reservoir-triggered earthquakes through Scientific Deep Drilling in Koyna/India
- GFZimage: Ganos Fault Zone imaging, Western Marmara region
- High-resolution imaging of the North Anatolian Fault Zone in the broader Marmara region from near-fault seismic recordings
- EU-DESTRESS: Mikroseismische Überwachung von Reservoirstimulation
- Studying induced seismicity in The Geysers geothermal reservoir, California
- EU-M4ShaleGas: Measuring, monitoring, mitigating managing the environmental impact of shale gas
- Induced Seismicity during CO2 storage, subproject of Helmholtz-Alberta Initiative (HAI), co-PI
- Task-Force of the International Lithosphere Programme (ILP), project ‘From Microseismicity to Large Earthquakes’, PI
- 2010-2013 GEISER-subproject, Induced seismicity in geothermal reservoirs, co-PI
- 2009-2014 Non-Double-Couple components in seismic moment tensors (NDC), PI
- 2009-11 CLEAN-Project, Seismic Monitoring of CO2-storage in the Altmark Gas Field, co-PI
- 2007-9 Seismic Monitoring of CO2-storage, Michigan/US, Co-PI
- 2005/’06 EGELADOS (Seismic broadband network), Agean Seas, Project partner
- 2005/’06 Seismic Monitoring, Marmara Sea/Turkey (OBS-network), PI
- 2005 Seismic Monitoring, Ganos Fault/Turkey , PI
- 2004/’05 Seismic Monitoring Columbo-Volcano, South Aegean, PI
- 2003/’04 Seismic Monitoring oft he active plate boundary south of Crete/Libyan Sea, PI
- 2002/4 Seismic Monitoring oft he Hellenic Volcanic Arc, South Aegean, PI
- 2000 Seismic Monitoring of induced seismicity at the KTB super deep borehole, PI
- 1997 Wide Aperture Seismic Profiling, Crete, South Aegean (amphian), PI
- 1997 Wide Aperture Seismic Profiling, Italy, Project partner
- 1997 Seismic Monitoring, Beirut/Libanon, Project partner
- 1996 Wide Aperture Seismic Profiling, Cyprus, PI
- 1995 Wide Aperture Seismic Profiling, Texas/US, Project partner
- 1994/5/6 Seismic Monitoring, Cyprus, PI
- 1993/5/6/7 Wide Aperture Seismic Profiling, NE Atlantic, PI/project partner
- 1993/4 Wide Aperture Seismic Profiling, Ross Sea/Antarctic, Project partner
- 2016-2018 Assiciate Editor for Journal of Geophysical Research - Solid Earth
- 2007-2013 Associate Editor for ‚Pure and Applied Geophysics‘ (PAGEOPH)
- 2005-2008 Executive Manager of Deutsche Geophysikalische Gesellschaft (DGG)
- Reviewer for various geophysical journals
- 2019: KIT Karlsruhe: Seismomechanical reservoir characterization and controlling induced seismicity: Recent examples from The Geysers/California and Helsinki/Finland geothermal projects
- 2018: KAUST Saudi Arabia, Fault Zone Maturity, Fault Segmentation and Fault Asperities along the Marmara Section of the NAFZ, Turkey: Implications for Seismic Hazard and Risk in Istanbul
- 2018: ICDP Training Course, Windischeschenbach. Downhole Seismic Monitoring
- 2018: ETH Zurich Geophysical Seminar. The North Anatolian Fault in the Istanbul-Marmara region in the light of the pending M7+ earthquake
- 2018: University of Southern California, The North Anatolian Fault in the Istanbul-Marmara region in the light of the pending M7+ earthquake
- 2018 University of California at Santa Cruz: The North Anatolian Fault in the Istanbul-Marmara region in the light of the pending M7+ earthquake
- 2018: Scientific Drilling and Deep Earth Exploration workshop, Guilin/China: ICDPs key scientific and societal challenges: Who we are and what we do for science and society.
- 2018: Scientific Drilling and Deep Earth Exploration workshop, Guilin/China: GONAF - The ICDP Geophysical Observatory at the North Anatolian Fault
- 2018: Geo-Tag Rheinland-Pfalz: Erdbebenrisiko für Istanbul: Forschungsaktivitäten und aktueller Kenntnisstand
- 2018: OGS Trieste/Udine, seminar talk: Microseismic monitoring of the Istanbul/Marmara region, NW Turkey.
- 2018: OGS Trieste/Udine, seminar talk: Microseismic reservoir characterization of The Geysers geothermal field, California.
- 2017: Workshop on 'Frontiers in Studies of Earthquakes and Faults', Shenzhen/China: Fault Segmentation, Asperities and Creeping Sections Along the North Anatolian Fault Zone in the Marmara Region, Turkey.
- 2017: Leibniz-Sozietät, Berlin: Erdbebengefährdung und seismische Überwachung der Istanbul-Marmara-Region in der Türkei: Historische Seismizität und neueste Messverfahren.
- 2017: ICDP Koyna postoperational workshop, Pune/India: Scientific Deep Drilling in Koyna: Downhole seismic instrumentation: Benefits for detecting and locating microseismicity
- 2017: Praxisforum Geothermie München: Relation between hydraulic parameters and induced seismicity at The Geysers geothermal reservoir, California
- 2017: University Potsdam: Seismotectonic setting of the North Anatolian Fault Zone in the Istanbul-Marmara region
- 2017: EGU-GIFT workshop, Vienna: Earthquake hazard and seismic monitoring efforts in the Istanbul-Marmara region
- 2017: EGU General Assembly, Vienna: An emergent failure process for a M4.2 earthquake offshore Istanbul
- 2016: Fracking-Konferenz 2016 Essen: Seismizität im Zusammenhang mit Fracking: Wissenschaftliche Bestandsaufnahme und Überwachungskonzepte
- 2016: Wellington University/NewZealand: Spatiotemporal variations of the crustal stress field in conjunction with the 1999 M7.4 Izmit and M7.1 Düzce earthquakes in northwestern Turkey
- 2016: Istanbul University: Maximum Earthquake Magnitudes and Fault Segmentation along the North Anatolian Fault Zone
- 2016: Urania Berlin: Hydraulic Fracturing - eine wissenschaftliche Bestandsaufnahme
- 2015: 13th Aykut Barka lecture, Technical University Istanbul 'Maximum earthquake magnitudes along the North Anatolian Fault Zone'
- 2014: VDI-Konferenz Hannover 'Seismische Überwachung von Reservoirstimulation'
- 2013: ICDP Science Conference 'Imaging the past to Imagine our Future', Potsdam, ‘GONAF: A borehole-based Geophysical Observatory at the North Anatolian Fault’
- 2013: EU-AIM conference, Trest/CZ, 'Microseismic Monitoring of Reservoir Stimulation: Case Studies and Implications for Improved Geomechanical Chracterization'
- 2013: EAGE conference, Reservoir Monitoring workshop, London, 'Microseismic Monitoring of Reservoir Stimulation: Case Studies and Implications for Improved Geomechanical Chracterization'
- 2013: Hamburg University, Fault-zone monitoring of the North Anatolian Fault in the greater Istanbul area'
- 2013: EGU Meeting/Vienna, ‘GONAF: A borehole-based Geophysical Observatory at the North Anatolian Fault’
- 2013: Montanuniversität Leoben/Austria, ‘Beiträge der Experimentellen Seismologie zur Reservoir-Charakterisierung’
- 2013: AAPG Conference on Induced Seismicity/London, ‘Microseismic Monitoring of Reservoir Stimulation: Case Studies and Implications’
- 2012: 2nd Kashiwazaki Symposium on Seismic Monitoring of Nuclear Power Plants/Japan, ‘Borehole Seismology: Fundamentals and Applications’ (key-note)
- 2012: 2nd Kashiwazaki Symposium on Seismic Monitoring of Nuclear Power Plants/Japan, ‘GONAF: A Borehole Geophysical Observatory in the Istanbul-Marmara Region in Turkey’
- 2012: Kashiwasaki Town Hall Meeting/Japan, ‘The Aegean-Anatolian Region: A Natural Geo-Laboratory’
- 2012: ECORD Summer School at MARUM/Bremen, ‘Seismology at Active Plate Boundaries’
- 2011: Technical University Vienna, Austria. ‘Experimentelle Seismologie: Fallstudien und aktuelle Entwicklungen’
- 2010: Kashiwazaki Symposium, Japan. ‘Passive Downhole Seismic Monitoring: Case Studies, Lessons Learnt and Future Challenges’
- 2010: Kashiwazaki Symposium, Japan. ‘GONAF: A deep geophysical observatory at the North Anatolian Fault’
- 2010: University Potsdam/GFZ, Seminar talk, short list W3-Professor in Geophysics. ‘Passive Seismic Monitoring in Basic and Applied Seismology’
- 2010: PHASE meeting, Berlin, ‘Seismic Detection of CO2 Leakage along Monitoring Wellbores’
- 2009: Freie Universitaet Berlin, ‘Experimental Seismology in Basic and Applied Science’
- 2009: Czech Academy of Science, Prague: ‘Seismic Detection of CO2 Leakage Along Monitoring Wellbores’
- 2009: Stanford Rock Physics and Borehole Geophysics Meeting. ‘Seismic Detection of CO2 Leakage Along Monitoring Wellbores’
- 2009: Jena University. ‘Experimental Seismology in Basic and Applied Research’
- 2009: US Geological Survey/Menlo Park. ‘Seismic Detection of CO2 Leakage Along Monitoring Wellbores’
- 2009: IEA Wellbore Integrety Meeting/Calgary. ‘Passive Seismic Experiments Revealing Leakage Pathways’
- 2009: Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. ‘Seismic detection of CO2 leakage along monitoring wellbores’
- 2008: Helmholtz-Association, Berlin. ‘Scale-invariant analysis of natural and induced seismicity and socio-economic relevance’
- 2008: Stanford Rock Physics and Borehole Geophysics Meeting, ‘Seismic monitoring of CO2 sequestration: A case study in the Michigan basin’
- 2008: University of California/Berkeley. ‘Seismotectonic Setting of the Aegean-Anatolian Region’
- 2008: University of Southern California/Los Angeles, ‘Seismotectonic Setting of the Aegean-Anatolian Region’
- 2008: Universität Karlsruhe. ‘Seismic Monitoring as a tool: Case studies and Applications’
- 2007: ICDP workshop Nagoya/Japan, ‘GONAF: A deep Geophysical Observatory at the North Anatolian Fault’
- 2007: IfM Geomar/CAU Kiel. ‘Active seismic profiling and passive seismic monitoring: Case studies and perspectives’
- 2006: Universität Bonn. ‘Scale-invariant analysis of rupture processes - case studies and perspectives’
- 2006: Universität Jena. ‘Seismotectonics of the Aegean-Anatolian region’
- 2006: Birkbeck College London. ‘Passive seismic monitoring as a tool - case studies and perspectives’
- 2006: EU Engine Workshop/Zurich. ‘Fault mechanisms of induced seismicity at the superdeep KTB borehole and their relation to fault structure and stress field’
- 2006: Geo-Center Hannover. ‘Passive seismic monitoring as a tool - case studies and perspectives’
- 2005: Universität Freiberg. ‘Scale-invariant analysis of rupture processes - case studies and perspectives’
- 2004: ICDP Workshop/Pilsen. ‘Monitoring of induced seismicity at the KTB super deep borehole’
- 2003: GFZ Potsdam. ‘Fluid-injection experiments at the KTB deep drill site’
- 2002: Universität Hamburg. ‘Monitoring and Analysis of fluid-injection induced seismicity’
- 2006: On the relation of stress and deformation fields to natural and induced seismicity’, Habilitationsschrift, GFZ Potsdam Scientific Techn. Reports, STR06/04, 157p. (abrufbar unter:
- 2000: Krustenstruktur der Region Kreta aus weitwinkelseismische Messungen, Dissertation, Universität Hamburg, Reihe C, Geophysik, Nr. 19, 149p.
- 1997: Krustenstruktur des Island-Faeroer-Rückens aus weitwinkelseismischen Messungen. Diplomarbeit, Universität Hamburg, 71p.
Selected Recent Publications (ISI):
- Kwiatek, G., Saarno, T., Ader, T., Bluemle, F., Bohnhoff, M., Chendorain, M., Dresen, G., Heikkinen, P., Kukkonen, I., Leary, P., Leonhardt, M., Malin, P.E., Martínez-Garzón, P., Passmore, K., Passmore, P., Valenzuela, S., Wollin, C., Controlling Fluid-Induced Seismicity during a 6.1-km-deep Geothermal Stimulation in Finland. Sci. Adv., 5: eaav7224, doi: 10.1126/sciadv.aav7224, 2019.
- Martínez-Garzón, P., Bohnhoff, M., Mencin, D., Kwiatek, G., Dresen, G., Hodgkinson, K., Nurlu, M., Kadirioglu, F.T., Kartal, R.F., Slow strain release along the eastern Marmara region offshore Istanbul in conjunction with enhanced local seismic moment release. Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., 510, 209–218, 2019.
- Malin, P.E., Bohnhoff, M., Blümle, F., Dresen, G., Martinez-Garzon, P., Ceken, U., Yanik, K., Kartal, R.F., Kadarioglu, F.T.: An Emergent Failure Process for a M4.2 Earthquake Offshore Istanbul, Nat. Sci. Rep., 8:16176, doi:10.1038/s41598-018-34563-9,, 2018.
- Kwiatek, G., Martínez-Garzón, P., Plenkers, K., Leonhardt, M., Zang, A., Dresen, G., Bohnhoff, M., A hydraulic fracture experiment in an underground laboratory: Analysis of high-frequency seismicity and complex fracture network formation. J. Geophys. Res, Solid Earth, 123, https://doi.org/10.1029/2017JB014715, 2018.
- Bohnhoff, M., Malin, P.E., ter Heege, J., Leflandre, J.-P., Sicking, C. Suggested best practice for seismic monitoring and characterization of non-conventional reservoirs. first break, 36, 59-64, 2018.
- Bohnhoff, M., Dresen, G., Ceken, U., Kadirioglu, F.T., Kartal, R.F., Kilic, T., Nurlu, M., Yanik, K., Acarel, D., Bulut, F., Ito, H., Johnson, W., Malin, P.E., Mencin, D., GONAF–A borehole Geophysical Observatory around the North Anatolian Fault in the Eastern Sea of Marmara, Sci. Dril., 5, 1–10, doi:10.5194/sd-5-1-2017, 2017.
- Bohnhoff, M., Wollin, C., Domigall, D., Küperkoch, L., Martinez-Garzon, P., Kwiatek, G., Dresen, G., Malin, P.E., Repeating Marmara Sea Earthquakes: Indication for fault creep, Geophys. J. Int., 210, 332-339, 2017.
- Bohnhoff, M., Bulut, F., Stierle, E., Ben-Zion, Y., Martinez-Garzon, P., Maximum Earthquake Magnitudes along different sections of the North Anatolian Fault Zone. Tectonophysics Invited Review Paper, doi: 10.1016/j.tecto.2016.02.028, 2016.
- Bohnhoff, M., Ickrath, M., Dresen, G., Seismicity distribution in conjunction with spatiotemporal variations of coseismic slip and postseismic creep along the combined 1999 Izmit-Düzce rupture, Tectonophysics, doi:;10.1016/j.tecto.2016.07.029, 2016.
- Martinez-Garzon, P., Bohnhoff, M., Ben-Zion, Y., Dresen, G., Scaling of maximum observed magnitudes with geometrical and stress properties of strike-slip fault. Geophys. Res. Lett., 42, 10,230-10,238, 2015.
- Kwiatek, G., Martinez-Garzon, P., Dresen, G., Bohnhoff, M., Sone, H., Hartline, C., Effects of long-term fluid injection on induced seismicity parameters and maximum magnitude at northwestern The Geysers geothermal field. J. Geophysical Research, 120, 7085-7101, 2015.
- Bohnhoff, M., Bulut, F., Dresen, G., Malin, P.M., Eken, T., Aktar, M., An earthquake gap south of Istanbul. Nature Communications, 4:1999, doi:10.1038/ncomms2999, 2013.
- Martinez-Garzon, P., Bohnhoff, M., Kwiatek, G., Dresen, G., Stress tensor changes related to fluid injection at the The Geysers geothermal field, California. Geophys. Res. Lett., 40, 2596-2601, doi:10.1002/grl.50438, 2013.
- Bohnhoff, M., Zoback, M.D. , Oscillation of fluid-filled cracks triggered by degassing CO2 during leakage from its storage reservoir, J. Geophys. Res., 115, B11305, doi:10.1029/2010JB000848, 2010.
- Bohnhoff, M., Dresen, G., Ellsworth, W.L., Ito, H., Passive Seismic Monitoring of Natural and Induced Earthquakes: Case Studies, Future Directions ans Socio-Economic Relevance. In: S. Cloetingh, J. Negendank (eds.), New Frontiers in Integrated Solid Earth Sciences, International Year of Planet Earth, DOI 10.1007/978-90-481-2737-5_7, Springer, 2010.