Dr. Juan Camilo Gomez Zapata
Dr. Juan Camilo Gomez Zapata2.6 Seismic Hazard and Risk Dynamics
Building A 70, Room 104
Function and Responsibilities:
Ph.D. candidate (University of Potsdam)
The research focused on multi-hazard exposure modeling and dynamic vulnerability for risk assessment.
- Building exposure modelling, multi-risk modelling, dynamic vulnerability.
- Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering (Non-linear site response)
- Spatially correlated seismic ground motions models and their impact on seismic risk.
- Teaching assistant (T.A) of Engineering Seismology and Seismic Hazard Analysis. IUSS (Pavia, Italy) March 2018.
- Geological Engineer. CORANTIOQUIA, Medellin, Colombia) Sept. 2015 - Aug. 2016.
- Geological Engineer. Integral S.A, Medellin, Colombia) Sept. 2014 - Aug. 2015.
- Geological Engineer. Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Medellin campus, Dec. 2013- Aug. 2014) for the Colombian Geological Survey.
- Teaching assistant (T.A). National University of Colombia- Medellín campus. 2012.
- 2023: Ph.D. (Doctoral degree in "Georisks"), University of Potsdam,
- Since 2018: GFZ Section 2.6. - Earthquake Hazard and Risk Dynamics.
- 2017 - 2018: MSc. in Engineering Seismology, IUSS- MEEES program (Pavia, Italy)
- 2016- 2017: MSc. Sciences de la Terre et des Planètes, Environnement. Université Grenoble Alpes- MEEES program (Grenoble, France)
- 2015- 2016: Postgraduate in Geotechnics, Universidad de Medellín (Colombia)
- 2009 - 2013: Geological Engineer, Universidad Nacional de Colombia (Medellin campus)
- 'RIESGOS project' 'Multi-Risk Information SystEm for South America’s Andes ReGiOnS' (GFZ, Germany, 2018- 2021) Seismic Hazard, Building exposure and dynamic physical Vulnerabilities under the action of different hazards (seismic, tsunami, lahar, ash- falls, floods)
- Internship: Assessment of Earthquake Induced Risk Of Soil Liquefaction Using CPT- Based Methods: Application to The case study of Cavezzo Municipality (Italy), in the framework of the LiqueFact project(EUCENTRE, Pavia, Italy)
- Master Thesis: Site-Specific Probabilistic Seismic Hazard Analysis with Non-Linear Site Response: Comparison of Different Approaches, the Euroseistest, Greece study case, in the framework of the STREST project (IsTerre, Grenobe, France)
- Hidroituango project.Advisor during the construction of tunnels and slope stability in the field. (Antioquia, Colombia, Sept. 2014 - Aug. 2015)
- Colombian National Map of Mass Movement Hazard. Scale 1: 100.000. For the Colombian Geological Survey (Dec. 2013- August 2014)
Research Boards and Committees:
- Associated member of the NatRiskChange Research group of the University of Potsdam
- Scholarship: ERASMUS MUNDUS. European Commission, for Master's studies in Europe.
- Lorenzo Codazzi Award from the Colombian Society of Engineers to the project "Colombian National Map of Hazard due to Mass Movements Scale 1: 100,000". Participation in the National Convention of Colombia- Colombian Geological Service (Dec. 2013- August 2014)
- Best marks on the SABER-Pro test, program: Geological Engineering at national level (2013-01) (Test for the quality of high level education in Colombia)
- Scholarship: academic excellence PAES for higher education (2008-2013, Universidad Nacional de Colombia Medellín campus)