Dr. Jan Saynisch-Wagner
Function and Responsibilities:Head of Research Group: Data Assimilation and Inverse Sensitivities
- Nonlinear dynamics and time series analysis
- Modeling of complex systems and machine learning
- Data assimilation (4DVAR and ensemble Kalman methods)
- Oceanography, sea level, Earth rotation
- Oceanic magnetic field
- Terrestrial mass distribution
- Climate change
- Since 2019: Head of Research Group: Data Assimilation and Inverse Sensitivities
- Since 2013: Helmholtz Centre Potsdam GFZ: Modelling of global and regional oceanic systems. Assimilation and analysis of sea-level, gravity- and magnetic field data. Coupled modelling and assimilation.
- 2012-2013: Freie Universität Berlin: Earth rotation and climate change.
- 2009-2012: Research associate (PostDoc) at the Helmholtz Centre Potsdam GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences.
- 2009: Thesis: The influence of the oceans on the Earth's rotation.
- 2006–2009: PhD student at Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research, Bremerhaven.
- 2004–2006: Student research assistant in "Nonlinear Dynamics" group of Prof. Dr. J. Kurths, Univ. Potsdam
- 2004: Student research assistant in the "Photonik" group of Prof. Dr. R. Menzel, Univ. Potsdam
- 1998-2006: University Potsdam. Diploma in physics. Thesis in nonlinear dynamics (noise/ENSO).
2023-2026: Helmholtz Association - AI Projects: CMILE: Smile vectors of climate change - exploring the latent space of Earth system dynamics
2023-2028: BMBF-Grant: CLIMADEMIC: Deriving governing laws for pandemic dynamics in the Earth’s changing climate
2023-2026: DFG/NCN Grant: Improving prediction of Earth Orientation Parameters for real-time geodesy
2022-2024: Helmholtz Association - Innovation Pool: SCENIC: Storyline Scenarios of Extreme Weather, Climate, and
Environmental Events along with their Impacts in a Warmer World
2017-2022: Helmholtz Association: ''Zukunftsthemen''. Advanced Earth System Modelling Capacity (ESM). Earth System Data Assimilation.
2017-2021: DFG-Priority-Programme (SPP 527): "International Ocean Discovery Program" (IODP)". Transport, Removal and Accumulation of sediments Numerically Simulated for Paleo-Oceans and Reconstructed from cores of The Eirik Drift (TRANSPORTED)
2019-2023: DFG-Priority-Programme (SPP1788): "Study of Earth system dynamics with a constellation of potential field missions". Ocean signals in Earth's magnetic field (OceanMag-II)
2015-2019: DFG-Priority-Programme (SPP1788): "Study of Earth system dynamics with a constellation of potential field missions". Detectability of non-tidal ocean signals in the Earth magnetic field (OceanMag-I)
2014-2016: GNSS Remote Sensing aboard the ISS (GEROS-ISS)
2012-2014: DFG-Research-Group (FOR584): "Earth rotation and global dynamic processes". Long-term ERP time series as indicators for global climate variability and climate change (ERP-CLIVAR)
2009 - 2012: DFG-Research-Group ( FOR584): "Earth rotation and global dynamic processes".
Earth rotation and ocean circulation II
2006 - 2009: DFG-Research-Group ( FOR584): "Earth rotation and global dynamic processes".
Earth rotation and ocean circulation I