Dr. Christian Haberland
Dr. Christian Haberland2.2 Geophysical Imaging
Building A 42, Room 103
Function and Responsibilities:
- Research Scientist
- Group leader
- Head of Geophysical Instrument Pool Potsdam (GIPP)
Analysis of seismic signals of both (local) earthquakes and controlled sources in order to study structure of and processes at active plate boundaries such as subduction zones and continental shear zones. Among the methods I use are local earthquake tomography, analysis of seismic attenuation, modelling of guided waves, and array and migration techniques. Much of my work is focused on South America and the Middle East. Furthermore, I am interested in technical aspects of field experiments/data acquisition and seismic instruments.
- Oct. - Dec. 2020 Head of section 2.2 "Geophysical Deep Sounding" (interim)
- since Sept. 2007 Head of Geophysical Instrument Pool (GIPP) at GFZ; Research Scientist
- 2003 - 2007 Research Scientist at University of Potsdam, SFB 267 "Deformation processes in the Andes", Project TIPTEQ; lecturer;
- 1998 - 2003 Research Scientist at the GeoForschungsZentrum Potsdam (GFZ), Section 2.2; lecturer at the University of Greifswald (2000, 2001) and University of Potsdam (2002/2003)
- 1993 - 1998 Scientific Researcher at the Free University of Berlin, FG Geophysics. Member of SFB 267, "Deformation Processes in the Andes"
- 1993 Scientific Researcher at the GeoForschungsZentrum Potsdam (GFZ), SFB 267 "Deformation Processes in the Andes"
- 1999 PhD (Dr. rer. nat., Free University of Berlin), Title: "Distribution of the Attenuation of Seismic Waves in the Western Central Andes" (in German)
- 1993 Diploma in Geophysics (Free University of Berlin), Title: "Transversalisotropie lamellierter Krustenbereiche bei refraktionsseismischen Untersuchungen"
- 1986 - 1993 Free University of Berlin & University of Hamburg - Geophysics
- 4D-MB - "Mountain Building in Four Dimensions" (PI of sub-project "Linking surface kinematics to deep structure of the Adriatic indenter near a potential subduction-polarity switch, the Giudicarie Belt (Southern Alps)" dealing with local earthquake tomography in the AlpArray/4D-MB context; PI of sub-project "Activity Field D – SWATH D: Providing seismological data for the SPP 4D-MB, A dense seismological station network in the Central and Eastern Alps"; PI of sub-project "A comprehensive high resolution 3D P- and S-wave velocity model for the Alpine mountain chain using local earthquake data: Constraining crustal structure, lithologies and mountain-building processes"; DFG-funded; SPP 4D-MB 2017)
- MOSES - "Modular Observation Solutions for Earth Systems" (member of the Permafrost Thaw group; involved in development of (seismological) sensor platform; funded by Helmholtz Association)
- SEIZE - Seismic imaging of the Ivrea Zone (DFG-funded)
- CaTeNA - "Climatic and Tectonic Natural Hazards in Central Asia" (PI of sub-project"Recent deformation in the Pamir mountain range based on seismic and geodetic data, dynamic landslide-susceptibility and risk analysis, and seismic imaging of the North Pamir Thrust" dealing with shallow seismic imaging together with paleoseismological trenching; BMBF-funded)
- EPOS-SP - deliverable „Best practice for field work, data management and QC of temporary deployments“ (EU-funded)
- SIOLA - "SeIsmicity and neOtectonics of the LAptev sea region" (seismotectonic study of the Laptev Sea region; funded by AWI Bremerhaven, GFZ and Uni Potsdam)
Research Boards and Committees:
- Member of the Deutsche Geophysikalische Gesellschaft (DGG), the American Geophysical Union (AGU) and the Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG)
- Reviewer for Nature Geosciences, Tectonophysics, Geophysical Research Letters (GRL), Journal of Geophysical Research (JGR), Geophysical Journal International (GJI), Journal of Seismology, ...; reviewer of several international funding agencies
- Elected member of the GFZ Internal Scientific Council (2016-2019).