- Influence of precursor organisms and early diagenesis on the composition of macromolecular organic matter in ancient and modern sedimentary environments.
- Geochemical transformation and transport processes as revealed by kinetic determinations and molecular indicators
- Bio- und Geosphere interactions, e. g. Deep Biosphere and gas hydrate formation.
- Development and application of thermal analytical methods in organic geochemistry
Continental Oil Company Ltd, London, England, Associate Geologist
Conoco Inc., Ponca City, U.S.A., Research Geochemist Senior Research Geochemist Research Group Leader
Atlantic Richfield Company, Dallas, U.S.A., Research Supervisor Research Associate
Forschungszentrum Jülich, Jülich, Germany, Acting Institute Director / Research Section Leader
University of Oslo, Geology Dept., Blindern, Norway, Professor II in organic geochemistry
GeoForschungsZentrum Potsdam, Potsdam, Germany, Head of Organic Geochemistry
Technical University of Berlin, Germany, C4 Professor of Organic Geochemistry and Hydrocarbon Systems
1970 - 1973
Durham University, England, B.Sc Honours (Dunelm) in Geology
1973 - 1977
Newcastle Upon Tyne University, England, Ph.D in Organic Geochemistry
Research Boards and Committees:
- Membr of European Geoscience Union
- Member of DGMK, Deutsche Wissenschaftliche Gesellschaft für Erdöl, Erdgas und Kohle e.V.
- Member of the Scientific Committee for the Sinopec Key Laboratory of Petroleum Formation Mechanisms
- Member of acatech, Deutsche Akademie der Technikwissenschaften