Dr. Bettina Strauch
Function and Responsibilities:Geoscientist
- CO2 monitoring in karst systems
- membrane-based He extraction from geothermal brines
- experimental simulation of H2 diffusion in potential natural storage rocks
- fluid migration and related processes in salt rock link
- lab-based gas hydrate research
- analysis and microthermometry of fluid inclusions and in magmatic and sedimentary rock
- membrane based gas-water separation for gas capturing and monitoring purposes
- Raman spectroscopy
- low-temperature calorimetry
- X-ray diffraction analysis coupled to freezing stage or humidity chamber
- gas analytics in lab and field
MDPI Minerals Special Issue Editor: "Salt Rocks: Processes, Fluid Migration and Mineralogy"
- 2002- 2007 PhD at Kingston University, UK
- 1998-2002 Study of Geosciences, Diploma, University Potsdam
- 1993-1998 Technical Assistant, AWI Potsdam
- 1991-1993 Qualification as Technician of Environmental Protection, BV Ecology Borkheide
- 1990-1992 Chemical Assistent, VEB-Mikroelektronik-Stahnsdorf, Stahnsdorf
- 1988-1990 Apprenticeship Chemical Assistant, VEB Berlin-Chemie
CO-KaGe (GFZ Innovation Fund 2023) "Development of a remotely operated subsea system for CO2 mapping in water"
- Construction of a combination of subsea drone and CO2 sensor system
- Mapping CO2-exhalation in the Laacher See(r
CRM-Geothermal (EU-funded, 2022 - 2026) "...combining extraction of raw materials and geothermal heat - renewable resource from the ground that is available 24 hours a day"
- Investigation of Helium content in geothermal fluids
- Test and development of Helium enrichment and extraction unit for the incorporation in geothermal power plants
NERO (DFG funded, 2023 - 2025) "Experimental and numerical investigations on density-driven dissolution of CO2 and related carbonate dissolution in karst water"
- Investigation of the relevance of density-driven CO2 movement in Karst systems and the interplay of CO2-water-limestone
MEGA (GFZ Innovation Fund 2022) "Development of a membrane-supported gas sensor system for spatially and temporally resolved CO2 measurements in water"
- Adaptation of CO2-in-air sensors by means of polymer membrane coating and adapted calibration to enable maintenance-free spatial gas monitoring in water over long periods of time
- determination of hydrogen transport parameters in reservoir- and cap rocks using diffusion cells
COSa (GFZ Innovation Fund 2021) „Experimental simulations of energy production using CO2 phase transitions in salt mines“
- design and set up of a lab-scale apparatus fort the test of an energy production concept using CO2 phase transitions
COMet (GFZ Smart Grant 2021) „CO2 Messungen im Tiefbrunnen“
- development and test of membrane-covered CO2 sensors in water
- project coordination
- fluid, rock and gas geochemical monitoring and analyses
- fluid inclusion analyses
- in situ and lab-based experimental simulations
SUGAR I and II (BMWi, 2007-2017) “Submarine Gas Hydrate Reservoirs”
- usage of silicone membranes as tools for gas extraction and monitoring in the course of hydrate formation and dissociation
- lab based simulations on CO2 – CH4 exchange in gas hydrates
ASA project (Carl von Duisberg Foundation of development cooperation)
- public campaign focusing on water pollution and waste in in Karaganda, Kazakhstan.