GFZ has been installing several building-based seismic monitoring networks for on-site seismic early warning and rapid response, using an advanced sensor platform developed in-house (SOSEWIN, Fleming et al., 2009).
The following small-scale monitoring networks are currently on-line:
- Thessaloniki, Greece: AHEPA hospital and port area, installations carried out within the EU-FP7 project REAKT in collaboration with ITSAK.
- Naples, Italy: one school in the Vesuvian area, in collaboration with University of Naples.
- Crevalcore, Italy: one industrial facility is being monitored. Installation of the sensor has been carried out within the framework of the REAKT project.
- Istanbul, Turkey: one high-rise building.
- Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan: 8 buildings have been instrumented in the framework of an initiative of the GCO-Central Asia and in collaboration with local scientific institutes (CAIAG, INTUIT, KIS).
Click here to visualise online the current status of the monitoring network.
In the frame of the Advanced Remote Sensing – Ground Truth Demo and Test Facilities (ACROSS) project the installation of a permanent real-time strong motion network in Central Asia is planned. In future, the network can act as a technical backbone for a regional early warning / rapid response system. ACROSS is fully funded by the Helmholtz Centre Potsdam – GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences.
Dyna Database for data collected in ACROSS - for registered users this provides access to data collected from the ACROSS strong motion network in Central Asia