GFZ/Section 1.2 is cooperation partner of the EU project FAMOS (Finalising Surveys for the Baltic Motorways of the Sea). FAMOS comprises all aspects of hydrographic surveying in the Baltic Sea Hydrographic Commission (HSHC) and the Baltic Marine Environment Protection Commission (Helsinki Commission – HELCOM).
FAMOS is a joint project of hydrographic, maritime and geodetic institutions and agencies of almost all EU countries around the Baltic Sea. FAMOS is funded by the European Commission within the Connecting Europe Facility (CEF Transport). FAMOS aims to improve the safety on the motorways of the sea in the Baltics. Part of the FAMOS activities is estimation of a new gravimetric geoid as common and unified chart datum in this sea.
- Project management: Swedish Maritime Administration (Sjöfartsverket)
- Geodetic project partners:
- Deutsches GeoForschungsZentrum GFZ, Bundesamt für Seeschiffahrt und Hydrographie, Federal Agency for Cartography and Geodesy (BKG)
- Technical University of Denmark (DTU Space)
- Lantmäteriet (Schweden)
- Finnish Geospatial Research Institute (FGI)
The FAMOS project started in 2014 und will be finalized by end of 2020. GFZ’s contribution in the FAMOS project is conduction of shipborne gravimetry campaigns including the related data processing. The shipborne gravity measurements are done with the Chekan-AM gravimeter equipment.