The GFZ Geothermal research platform Groß Schönebeck is situated northeast of Berlin on the southern edge of the North German Basin. Two research wells form a geothermal doublet and give access to water-bearing horizons at depths between 3,9 and 4,4 km at temperatures of 150 °C. They are used as an in situ laboratory for investigating deep sedimentary structures and fluids under natural conditions. The activities cover research in a holistic approach along the whole chain of geothermal technologies, from the geothermal reservoir to the provision of power, heat and chill.
The downhole laboratory represents an important pilot project for the geothermal technology development in Europe. In situ experiments and borehole measurements can be performed with the focus of studying how to enhance the productivity of low-permeability geothermal reservoirs to create Enhanced Geothermal Systems (EGS). Facilities for testing plant components and materials complete the research facility.
recent project: Fracture-dominated development of a deep geothermal reservoir for electricity generation in the North-German Basin – Seismic exploration, concept and well planning at the Groß Schönebeck site – RissDom-A
- Geothermal research platform Groß Schönebeck
- Data publication: Reinsch, T., Blöcher, G., Kranz, S. (2015): Data from the Groß Schönebeck Research Platform 2011-06-01 - 2013-12-31 (Report), (Scientific Technical Report - Data ; 15/02), Potsdam : Deutsches GeoForschungsZentrum GFZ, 71 p. | http://doi.org/10.5880/GFZ.b103-15021.1 | GFZpublic | http://doi.org/10.2312/GFZ.b103-15021 | http://doi.org/10.1016/j.geothermics.2015.07.008 |
- Fracture-dominated development of a deep geothermal reservoir for electricity generation in the North-German Basin – Seismic exploration, concept and well planning at the Groß Schönebeck site – RissDom-A
- Qualification of geothermal technology - integration of subsurface and surface systems
- Longterm-Corrosion investigations and -monitoring in saline thermal waters
- Entwicklung von thermodynamischen Daten für die Belange der thermodynamischen Gleichgewichtsmodellierung von Prozessen in tiefen, geothermalen Schichten
- Geothermal research power plant Groß Schönebeck
- Feasibility of geothermal power production from deep hydrothermal reservoirs - Completion of the Groß Schönebeck-doublet with the 2nd well