Postdoc researcher (f/m/x) – Earth’s heat flow
Reference Number 5753
The working group “Exploration of Thermal Geosystems” at GFZ searches for a postdoc candidate to work on the ‘World Heat Flow Database Project’. The DFG project will be jointly conducted with the Technical University Dresden and is aimed at developing a new research data infrastructure for global heat-flow data and on re-evaluating existing data. The project is closely interconnected to the global collaborative activities of the community-driven Global Heat Flow Data Assessment Project, guided by the International Heat Flow Commission (IHFC) of the IASPEI/IUGG and the Task Force VIII of the International Lithosphere Program (ILP). The postdoc researcher will help to overcome fundamental problems of the existing Global Heat Flow Database by reassessing and revising those data and by assisting in the technical coordination and information exchange with the global heat flow community.
- Revision of heat-flow data assembled in the Global Heat Flow Database
- Development of database models, meta-data scheme, quality assessments
- Organization of international workshops
- Coordination and communication of work with the community members
- Participation in the field/lab measurements for new heat flow data
- Writing of scientific publications
- Master degree or equivalent and PhD degree in geosciences
- Experience in the determination of heat flow data in continental or/and marine environments
- Skills in data-banking and programming (advantageous)
- Communicative, interactive, creative
- Fluent in English
What we offer:
- An international collaborative research environment
- Collaborative work in a skilled and motivated team
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Public service benefits
- Extensive training opportunities
- Professional career advice offered by our in-house Career-Centre
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Support with finding a good work-life balance offered by benefit@work
- Institute day-care centre on site
- Work place at the Albert Einstein science park on the Telegrafenberg in Potsdam within walking distance to the Potsdam main train station, or just a short ride on the shuttle bus
Fixed-term: 3 years
Salary: The position is classed as salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group is determined on the basis of the Collective Wage Agreement and the respective personal qualifications.
Working hours: Full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is generally suitable for part-time work.
Place of work: Potsdam
Have we piqued your interest?
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics. Anyone who has been recognized as severely disabled, will be given preferential consideration in the event of equal suitability and qualification in accordance with the provisions of the German Social Code IX. If you have any questions, please contact our representative for the severely disabled at email@example.com, who will be happy to assist you in the further application process. In case of further queries regarding gender equality, please do not hesitate to contact our Equal Opportunities Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 b, Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with Art. 26 of the Data Protection Act for the State of Brandenburg. After completion of the procedure, application documents will be deleted in compliance with data protection regulations.