Post-Doc (f_m_x) – Co-development of the DT-GEO Tsunami Digital Twin
Reference Number 8468
The European project “Digital Twin for GEOphysical extremes” (DT-GEO) (https://dtgeo.eu/project/) aims to analyse and forecast the impact of tsunamis, earthquakes, volcanoes, and anthropogenic seismicity. The main objective of DT-GEO is to deploy a pre-operational prototype of a Digital Twin, implemented through 12 self-contained Digital Twin Components (DTCs) addressing specific hazardous phenomena. DTCs will combine real-time data streams and high-fidelity models to conduct precise data-informed early warning systems, forecasts, and hazard assessments across multiple time scales.
Section 2.5 is involved in the development of the Tsunami DT Component implementing the workflow of the novel tsunami forecasting methodology coined Probabilistic Tsunami Forecasting (PTF). The workflow will be applied in Tsunami Early Warning Centres. PTF performs data assimilation of (near-) real time earthquake and tsunami observations into the tsunami simulation workflow operating ensembles of precomputed or on-the-fly simulated tsunami propagation scenarios.
To support our contribution to the international PTF development, we invite highly motivated candidates with relevant subject fields – earthquakes, tsunamis – and IT knowledge to apply. The position will be funded for 18 months.
You will be working in the international development team (distributed among partner institutions in Italy and Norway) on the integration of the existing software components into the Probabilistic Tsunami Forecasting (PTF) HPC-based workflow. Your task will be also the co-development of some new components of the PTF workflow including:
- (Virtual) sensor data assimilation into the PTF
- Simulation vs. observations matching
- Integration of the AI ground shaking module into scenario generation
- Integration of GNSS displacements into scenario matching
- MSc (or equivalent) and PhD in Earth Science, with a focus on geophysics
- Experience in numerical modelling of geophysical processes
- Basic understanding of tsunamigenic sources – earthquakes, landslides – and tsunamis: their physics, ways of detection and observation, numerical aspects
- Strong skills in Python and C/C++
- Experience with the development and execution of Python parallel applications for distributed infrastructures, as well as code containerization is an advantage
- Good written and oral skills in English
What we offer:
- Ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Public service benefits
- Extensive training opportunities
- Professional career advice offered by our in-house Career-Centre
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Support with finding a good work-life balance offered by benefit@work
- Institute day-care centre on site
- Working at the Albert Einstein science park on the Telegrafenberg in Potsdam
- Work place within walking distance of Potsdam main train station, or just a short ride on the shuttle bus
Fixed-term: 18 months
Salary: The position is classed as salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group is determined on the basis of the Collective Wage Agreement and the respective personal qualifications.
Working hours: Full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is generally suitable for part-time work.
Place of work: Potsdam
Have we piqued your interest?
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics. Anyone who has been recognized as severely disabled, will be given preferential consideration in the event of equal suitability and qualification in accordance with the provisions of the German Social Code IX. If you have any questions, please contact our representative for the severely disabled at sbv[at]gfz-potsdam.de, who will be happy to assist you in the further application process. In case of further queries regarding gender equality, please do not hesitate to contact our Equal Opportunities Officer at gba[at]gfz-potsdam.de.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 b, Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with Art. 26 of the Data Protection Act for the State of Brandenburg. After completion of the procedure, application documents will be deleted in compliance with data protection regulations.