PhD candidate (f_m_x) in the project "Densities, structures and refractive indices of carbonate glasses at high pressure"
Reference Number 8424
The project "Densities, structures and refractive indices of carbonate glasses at high pressure" is funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG), the PhD candidate will be part of the CLEAR group. The dissertation will be submitted at the University of Potsdam.
Within the research group CLEAR we endeavor to understand large scale geological processes that operate deep inside planets. Our approach is to recreate high-pressure/temperature conditions in the laboratory and examine various physical properties of geomaterials (minerals, rocks, glasses, and melts) in situ using state-of-the-art spectroscopic techniques. We then use these properties in collaboration with geodynamicists to create numerical models of planets.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual who wants to earn a PhD in geosciences and is interested in developing an expertise in spectroscopic measurements in a high-pressure device known as the diamond anvil cell. The primary research focus will be on measuring the refractive index and density of carbonate glasses at high pressure to infer related properties of carbonate melts in the Earth's mantle. The successful candidate will also collaborate closely with the group of Prof. Björn Winkler (Goethe Universität Frankfurt am Main) to gain insights into the structure-property relation in carbonate glasses/melts at high pressure. To foster this collaboration, another PhD candidate will be hired to work in Prof. Winkler's group.
- Synthesis of carbonate glasses in the K2CO3-MgCO3 system
- All-optical measurements of refractive index and density of carbonate glasses at high-pressure/temperature conditions
- Proactive scientific interaction within the research group and with other groups at the GFZ
- Report progress regularly at group meetings, domestic, and international conferences
- Publication of the results in peer-reviewed journals
- Master degree (or equivalent) in Geosciences, Physics, Chemistry, or related discipline
- Strong interest in geophysics and challenging experimental work
- Basic knowledge of optical, infrared, and Raman spectroscopies
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
- Experience in diamond anvil cell or a related high-pressure technique is desirable
- Basic programming skills would be beneficial
Please, indicate specifically how you fit the position as well as your motivations for obtaining a PhD in Mineral Physics in a cover letter submitted with your application. In addition, provide a list of at least two references and their contact details who can evaluate your scientific work.
What we offer:
- Ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Public service benefits
- Extensive training opportunities
- Professional career advice offered by our in-house Career-Centre
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Support with finding a good work-life balance offered by benefit@work
- Institute day-care centre on site
- Working at the Albert Einstein science park on the Telegrafenberg in Potsdam
- Work place within walking distance of Potsdam main train station, or just a short ride on the shuttle bus
Fixed-term: 3 years
Salary: The position is classed as salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group is determined on the basis of the Collective Wage Agreement and the respective personal qualifications.
Working hours: Part-time 75% (currently 29.25 h/week)
Place of work: Potsdam
Have we piqued your interest?
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics. Anyone who has been recognized as severely disabled, will be given preferential consideration in the event of equal suitability and qualification in accordance with the provisions of the German Social Code IX. If you have any questions, please contact our representative for the severely disabled at sbv[at]gfz-potsdam.de, who will be happy to assist you in the further application process. In case of further queries regarding gender equality, please do not hesitate to contact our Equal Opportunities Officer at gba[at]gfz-potsdam.de.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 b, Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with Art. 26 of the Data Protection Act for the State of Brandenburg. After completion of the procedure, application documents will be deleted in compliance with data protection regulations.