Research Associate (post doc) seismologist (f_m_x)
Reference Number 8418
We seek a highly skilled and motivated geophysicist to develop and participate in projects applying a broad range of seismological approaches to outstanding challenges in geomorphology, critical zone science and geohazards research. In a highly interdisciplinary, diverse, and well-equipped research environment, you will investigate seismic sources at and near Earth’s surface, characterize and monitor the state of the subsurface, develop instrumental and analytical approaches enhancing current environmental seismology, and combine geophysical and other data for deeper understanding of Earth surface processes and dynamics.
- Conduct original research on Earth surface processes and process systems
- Develop, test and validate seismological tools for Earth surface research
- Design and pursue own research directions complementing those of the Geomorphology team
- Seek interdisciplinary collaborations in and beyond the team
- Publish in international peer-reviewed journals
- Present research results at relevant scientific meetings
- Lead and participate in development and writing of funding applications
- Co-supervise graduate students and interns
- Maintain and develop the team’s seismological instrument pool
- Coordinate seismological data management and analysis
- Doctoral degree in Geophysics, or equivalent
- A specialization in (environmental) seismology
- Working knowledge of Earth surface processes
- Affinity with field and instrumental work
- Ambition and aptitude to work in multiple projects
- Demonstrated ability to initiate as well as complete research projects
- Outstanding publication record (we prefer quality to quantity)
- Record of 3rd party funding
- Interest in and experience in student supervision
- Strong motivation to work across disciplinary boundaries
- Preference for team work
- Strong communication skills and proficiency in spoken and written English
What we offer:
- Ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Public service benefits
- Extensive training opportunities
- Professional career advice offered by our in-house Career-Centre
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Support with finding a good work-life balance offered by benefit@work
- Institute day-care centre on site
- Working at the Albert Einstein science park on the Telegrafenberg in Potsdam
- Work place within walking distance of Potsdam main train station, or just a short ride on the shuttle bus
Fixed-term: 2 years (with possibility of extension)
Salary: The position is classed as salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group is determined on the basis of the Collective Wage Agreement and the respective personal qualifications.
Working hours: Full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is generally suitable for part-time work.
Place of work: Potsdam
Have we piqued your interest?
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics. Anyone who has been recognized as severely disabled, will be given preferential consideration in the event of equal suitability and qualification in accordance with the provisions of the German Social Code IX. If you have any questions, please contact our representative for the severely disabled at sbv[at]gfz-potsdam.de, who will be happy to assist you in the further application process. In case of further queries regarding gender equality, please do not hesitate to contact our Equal Opportunities Officer at gba[at]gfz-potsdam.de.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 b, Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with Art. 26 of the Data Protection Act for the State of Brandenburg. After completion of the procedure, application documents will be deleted in compliance with data protection regulations.