Post-Doc (f_m_x) - Geochemical fingerprinting of volcanogenic massive sulfide systems using accessory minerals
Reference Number 8405
For Section 3.1 "Inorganic and Isotope Geochemistry" (Department "Geochemistry"), we are looking for a talented post-doctoral researcher. This project is funded by the DOME Special Priority Programme of the DFG, coordinated by the University of Potsdam. The project will be supervised by Prof. Sarah Gleeson, Dr. Valby von Schijndel (GFZ), Dr. Marta Codeço (University of Arizona). The project will assess the potential of accessory minerals as recorders of mineralizing processes and as pathfinders for mineralization in VMS districts with a complex history.
- Determine temporal context of accessory minerals from samples from the Iberian Pyrite Belt and Kidd Creek, Canada using petrographic techniques (including Cathodoluminescence, SEM, EMPA, micro-XRF)
- Carry our bulk lithogeochemical and quantitative mineralogy on host rock samples
- Analyse the major, minor and trace element compositions of accessory minerals by LA-ICP-MS
- If suitable grains are found, analyse accessory minerals by SIMS for O isotopes and U-Pb dating
- Develop discriminant diagrams by applying statistical and machine learning techniques
- Report regularly to collaborators, publish peer reviewed papers in journals, open access data-sets and present results at conferences and workshops
- Actively engage and contribute to the Gleeson research group, Section 3.1, the GFZ and the DOME community.
- Applicants should hold a Master`s degree (or equivalent) and a PhD degree in a discipline of geosciences
- Background knowledge in aspects of the following: geochemistry, metamorphism, hydrothermal ore deposits, mineralogy, thermodynamics
- Experience in standard petrographic techniques (transmitted and reflected light) and paragenetic analyses.
- Familiarity with analyses and interpretation of different types of geochemical data (bulk rock lithogeochemistry, LA-ICP-MS, stable isotopic data, geochemical data)
- Demonstrated experience in publishing high quality papers in scientific journals
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a team, keep to deadlines and engage in interdisciplinary work
- Demonstrated ability for leadership
- Good spoken and written English is required, some knowledge of German is an advantage
What we offer:
- Ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Public service benefits
- Extensive training opportunities
- Professional career advice offered by our in-house Career-Centre
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Support with finding a good work-life balance offered by benefit@work
- Institute day-care centre on site
- Working at the Albert Einstein science park on the Telegrafenberg in Potsdam
- Work place within walking distance of Potsdam main train station, or just a short ride on the shuttle bus
Fixed-term: 3 years
Salary: The position is classed as salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group is determined on the basis of the Collective Wage Agreement and the respective personal qualifications.
Working hours: Full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is generally suitable for part-time work.
Place of work: Potsdam
Have we piqued your interest?If so, we look forward to receiving your application by 3rd October 2023. Please use our online application form only.
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics. Anyone who has been recognized as severely disabled, will be given preferential consideration in the event of equal suitability and qualification in accordance with the provisions of the German Social Code IX. If you have any questions, please contact our representative for the severely disabled at sbv[at]gfz-potsdam.de, who will be happy to assist you in the further application process. In case of further queries regarding gender equality, please do not hesitate to contact our Equal Opportunities Officer at gba[at]gfz-potsdam.de.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 b, Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with Art. 26 of the Data Protection Act for the State of Brandenburg. After completion of the procedure, application documents will be deleted in compliance with data protection regulations.