Researcher (post-doc) in data science and global land monitoring (f_m_x)
Reference Number 8370
Are you an innovative researcher willing to contribute to the next generation of global monitoring and Earth observation applications? Do you have experience processing and analyzing large Earth observation data sets and integrate them with reference data? Are you keen to adopt artificial intelligence approaches and develop tools and products to novel Earth Observations data? And are you an enthusiastic teammate willing to join us for exciting collaborative research and expand your scientific career? Then we like to get you on board! Your research will focus on developing methods and tools to utilize the scientific potential of the next level of global Earth Observation data (i.e., large area hyperspectral, LIDAR, or RADAR time-series data; also ground/reference data) and providing innovative tools and products as a global asset to users.
As a researcher, you will work on the interface of different working groups in our section (e.g., geomatics/big data analytics, global monitoring). Your research will contribute to innovative ideas in the Remote Sensing and Geoinformatics Section of the German Research Center for Geosciences (GFZ). Our section strives to establish remote sensing as a core method for Earth Sciences and geo- and nature-based solutions. You will be able to draw from the broad expertise and projects within the section, enhance collaboration and contribute to an innovative environment for a diverse group of people and ideas. Do you want to know more about our work? Check out our page with news, recent publications, and projects.
To apply, you should have a proven scientific track record and research vision that she/he can pursue as part of this researcher position. As a successful candidate, you:
- Have a Master`s degree (or equivalent) and a Ph.D. degree (or almost completed) with a proven international scientific track record in the field of remote sensing, large-area processing, and analysis (incl. cloud computing, ground/satellite data integration) or a closely related scientific field;
- Have a vision of how data science and artificial intelligence will contribute to your research;
- Have a vision of how novel Earth Observation approaches can contribute to improving global land monitoring and sustainability;
- Have experience in large area Earth Observations, Cloud computing, time series methods, AI and data science methods, and uncertainty analysis;
- Have an open mind for collaborative research and connecting different fields;
- Have an international scientific profile and can interact with professionals and societal partners in the development of research and outreach.
What we offer:
- Ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Public service benefits
- Extensive training opportunities
- Professional career advice offered by our in-house Career-Centre
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Support with finding a good work-life balance offered by benefit@work
- Institute day-care centre on site
- Working at the Albert Einstein science park on the Telegrafenberg in Potsdam
- Work place within walking distance of Potsdam main train station, or just a short ride on the shuttle bus
Fixed-term: 4,5 years
Salary: The position is classed as salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group is determined on the basis of the Collective Wage Agreement and the respective personal qualifications.
Working hours: Full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is generally suitable for part-time work.
Place of work: Potsdam
Have we piqued your interest?
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics. Anyone who has been recognized as severely disabled, will be given preferential consideration in the event of equal suitability and qualification in accordance with the provisions of the German Social Code IX. If you have any questions, please contact our representative for the severely disabled at sbv[at]gfz-potsdam.de, who will be happy to assist you in the further application process. In case of further queries regarding gender equality, please do not hesitate to contact our Equal Opportunities Officer at gba[at]gfz-potsdam.de.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 b, Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with Art. 26 of the Data Protection Act for the State of Brandenburg. After completion of the procedure, application documents will be deleted in compliance with data protection regulations.