PostDoc (f_m_x) - Extreme weather forecast using GNSS and AI – EKAPEx project
Reference Number 6960
GFZ is contributing to the research project EKAPEx (New energy-efficient AI algorithm for innovative forecasting method of severe weather events), funded by the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Nuclear Safety and Consumer Protection (BMUV). EKAPEx will be carried out together with the Hasso Plattner Institute (HPI) Potsdam, the Technical University of Munich (TUM), and the German Weather Service (DWD). The project is aiming at applying new energy-efficient AI algorithms for innovative forecasting methods of severe weather events in Germany. Tropospheric products covering a period of 22 years, which are retrieved from a European regional GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite Systems) network consisting of about 900 stations, will be reanalyzed uniformly using the most updated methods. Based on SYNOP (surface synoptic observations) and GNSS tropospheric products, an AI algorithm for forecasting severe weather events will be developed.
We look for a motivated and talented scientist for this challenging research on GNSS and weather forecast using AI. The project position is in particular for an early career scientist, with appropriate experience of the candidate in numerical weather prediction, data assimilation and GNSS data analysis.
- Preparation/quality control of GNSS tropospheric products and SYNOP observations covering 22 years
- Evaluation and deployment of GNSS tropospheric products and SYNOP observations for AI implementation together with HPI and TUM
- Analysis and comparison of AI results with results from numerical weather models
- Application, analysis, and further processing of different data sets
- Collaboration with the HPI, TUM, and DWD
- Presentation of the results in project meetings, conferences, and scientific journals
- Successfully completed University Master`s degree (or equivalent) in geodesy, computer sciences, meteorology or adequate (e.g., Mathematics, Geoinformatics)
- Experience in numerical weather modeling
- Familiarity with data analysis and data assimilation, skills in areas such as GNSS meteorology
- Ability to develop codes in MATLAB and Python or other similar platforms
- Knowledge of AI and GPU programming and experience in static model building are advantages but no requirements
- Fluency in English
- Strong teamwork and communication skills for working in an interdisciplinary environment
What we offer:
- Ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Public service benefits
- Extensive training opportunities
- Professional career advice offered by our in-house Career-Centre
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Support with finding a good work-life balance offered by benefit@work
- Institute day-care centre on site
- Working at the Albert Einstein science park on the Telegrafenberg in Potsdam
- Work place within walking distance of Potsdam main train station, or just a short ride on the shuttle bus
Fixed-term: 3 years
Salary: The position is classed as salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group is determined on the basis of the Collective Wage Agreement and the respective personal qualifications.
Working hours: Full-time (currently 39 h/week) if the applicant has obtained a MSc (or equivalent) and a PhD degree; Part-time 75% (currently 29.25 h/week) if the applicant has obtained a MSc degree (or equivalent). The position is generally suitable for part-time work.
Place of work: Potsdam
Have we piqued your interest?
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics. Anyone who has been recognized as severely disabled, will be given preferential consideration in the event of equal suitability and qualification in accordance with the provisions of the German Social Code IX. If you have any questions, please contact our representative for the severely disabled at sbv[at]gfz-potsdam.de, who will be happy to assist you in the further application process. In case of further queries regarding gender equality, please do not hesitate to contact our Equal Opportunities Officer at gba[at]gfz-potsdam.de.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 b, Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with Art. 26 of the Data Protection Act for the State of Brandenburg. After completion of the procedure, application documents will be deleted in compliance with data protection regulations.