PhD student (f_m_x) – geothermal Co-simulation of district heating systems
Reference Number 6879
The section Geoenergy at the GFZ is seeking a PhD candidate to work on co-simulations in energy systems. The 3-year position is aimed at developing tools and models of district heating systems in urban areas, including comparative studies on system integration of geothermal options into decentralized district heating networks.
- Simulation-based technical assessments of multi-energy systems
- Methodological development and modelling of the integration of geothermal applications into multi-energy district heating systems
- Analysis and comparative studies of use cases in urban areas of different size
- Writing of scientific publications
- Master's degree or equivalent in Applied Geosciences, Applied Physics, Energy Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Process Engineering
- Professional experience in the field of geothermal energy or district heating systems
- Experience with the characterization and numerical computation of energy systems and/or district heating systems
- Experience with numerical modelling
- Skills in programming (e.g. Python, C++, Julia) and energy system modelling tools (e.g., Modelica, SimulationX, Dymola or similar) and co-simulation tools (e.g. energysim)
- Profound knowledge of fluid mechanics and heat transfer
- Proficiency in English (mandatory)
What we offer:
- Ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Public service benefits
- Extensive training opportunities
- Professional career advice offered by our in-house Career-Centre
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Support with finding a good work-life balance offered by benefit@work
- Institute day-care centre on site
- Working at the Albert Einstein science park on the Telegrafenberg in Potsdam
- Work place within walking distance of Potsdam main train station, or just a short ride on the shuttle bus
Fixed-term: 36 months
Salary: The position is classed as salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group is determined on the basis of the Collective Wage Agreement and the respective personal qualifications.
Working hours: Part-time 75% (currently 29.25 h/week)
Place of work: Potsdam
Have we piqued your interest?
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics. Anyone who has been recognized as severely disabled, will be given preferential consideration in the event of equal suitability and qualification in accordance with the provisions of the German Social Code IX. If you have any questions, please contact our representative for the severely disabled at sbv[at]gfz-potsdam.de, who will be happy to assist you in the further application process. In case of further queries regarding gender equality, please do not hesitate to contact our Equal Opportunities Officer at gba[at]gfz-potsdam.de.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 b, Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with Art. 26 of the Data Protection Act for the State of Brandenburg. After completion of the procedure, application documents will be deleted in compliance with data protection regulations.