PhD Student (f_m_x) Hydrogeochemical Simulations
Reference Number 6313
- Geochemical process simulations to assess the suitability of potential host rocks for the disposal of highly radioactive waste in Germany
- Implementation of coupled numerical simulations to evaluate possible environmental impacts (e.g. due to radionuclides)
- Performance and evaluation of scenario analyses
- Further development of existing, coupled modelling approaches to quantify the prevailing hydrogeochemical processes and possible process interactions
- Presentation and publication of own research results
- Scientific and content-related support for ongoing research projects within the scope of the area of responsibility
- Conducting courses at the Institute of Geosciences within the framework of the PhD regulations of the University of Potsdam
- Master of Science (M.Sc.) with a geoscientific focus and specialization in hydrogeology and / or hydrogeochemistry
- Basic knowledge about numerical modelling of groundwater flow, species transport and geochemical reactions within groundwater
- Basic programming skills (e.g. Python)
- Distinct affinity for the use of numerical simulation programs for solving of scientific questions
- Ability to cooperate in interdisciplinary and multi cultural working groups
What we offer:
- Ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Public service benefits
- Extensive training opportunities
- Professional career advice offered by our in-house Career-Centre
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Support with finding a good work-life balance offered by benefit@work
- Institute day-care centre on site
- Working at the Albert Einstein science park on the Telegrafenberg in Potsdam
- Work place within walking distance of Potsdam main train station, or just a short ride on the shuttle bus
Fixed-term: 3 years
Salary: The position is classed as salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group is determined on the basis of the Collective Wage Agreement and the respective personal qualifications.
Working hours: Part-time 75% (currently 29.25 h/week)
Place of work: Potsdam
Have we piqued your interest?
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics. Anyone who has been recognized as severely disabled, will be given preferential consideration in the event of equal suitability and qualification in accordance with the provisions of the German Social Code IX. If you have any questions, please contact our representative for the severely disabled at sbv[at]gfz-potsdam.de, who will be happy to assist you in the further application process. In case of further queries regarding gender equality, please do not hesitate to contact our Equal Opportunities Officer at gba[at]gfz-potsdam.de.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 b, Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with Art. 26 of the Data Protection Act for the State of Brandenburg. After completion of the procedure, application documents will be deleted in compliance with data protection regulations.