The main task of the department is the development, maintenance and operation of the science park and the GFZ outposts. It ensures the general services of facility management as well as the smooth operation of the structural and technical facilities. It also assumes the role of building owner for construction projects.
As part of the merger of the Helmholtz Centre Potsdam German Research Centre for Geosciences GFZ, the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research PIK, the Alfred Wegener Institute Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research AWI and the Leibniz Institute for Astrophysics Potsdam AIP to form the user community "Albert Einstein Science Park", the GFZ's General and Technical Services take on joint tasks in their area of expertise.
The department is divided into the following main areas:
- Vehicle fleet and driving services
- Access authorisation
- Building cleaning
- Provision of lecture rooms
- Transport and removals
- Security guard
- Lunch catering
- Mailroom and courier service
- Caretaker and winter service
- Waste disposal
- Realisation of modernisations, repairs, new constructions and conversions of buildings and technical facilities as well as internal technical requirements
- Carrying out inspections, maintenance and recurring tests for buildings and technical facilities
- Project management of construction measures