- Reconstructing the timing, duration and causal mechanisms of monsoon fluctuations (seasonal to decadal scale) during the modern and late Quaternary times.
- Development of transfer functions for quantification of palaeorecords.
- Time series analyses and comparison with other high resolution archives (ice cores, tree rings, stalagmites, marine and lake sediments) from tropical and circum-Atlantic region as a step towards (i) documenting the role of NAO, ENSO and solar variability in short term monsoon fluctuations, and (ii) understanding high latitude-tropical teleconnections.
- Documenting the thresholds and response times of different components of the geosphere and biosphere (lakes, tree rings, glaciers, speleothems) to climate change.
- Data obtained in research tasks (1), (2) and (3) will provide both a means of testing climate models simulating palaeoclimate and aiding models predicting the impact of global warming.