Small raft (aluminium UWITEC) with freeze coring system (UWITEC freeze corer type 4) on Lake Sihailongwan (N.E. China) in 1999.
- rope-operated freeze corer, freeze sword cooled by ethanol,
- different sizes (width and length) of freezing swords (standard 110 x 10 cm)
Details of the UWITEC freeze coring system - foreground with open head and temperature display of the cooling liquid; background with liquid nitrogen dewar connected to the stainless steel thermos, and small electrical winch for deployment and retrieval of the freeze corer.
- high precision coring of the uppermost, unconsolidated part of lake sediment sections,
- water depth of several 100 m.
Freeze core from Lake Sihailongwan (N.E. China) with visible seasonal lamination.
- small raft, dry ice or liquid nitrogen to cool the ethanol
- coring crew of at least 2 persons