Dr. James MechieHelmholtz Centre Potsdam
GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences
Section 2.2, Geophysical Deep Sounding
Telegrafenberg, E 328
Phone: +49 331 288 1237
Fax: +49 331 288 1266
My field of interest is refraction / wide-angle reflection seismology and how this method can be applied to determine the structure and evolution of the crust and upper mantle in tectonically interesting areas e.g. continental rifts and (recent) collisional zones. Much of my work has been concentrated in the Afro-Arabian rift system, the Variscides of Europe, the Urals, the Alps, the Andes and the Himalayas/Tibet.
Here is a list of recent projects, including links, in which I have been involved:
- GEDEPTH I / INDEPTH II (1994)
- URSEIS (1995)
- CINCA (1995)
- TICOSECT (1996)
- ANCORP (1996)
- GEDEPTH II / INDEPTH III (1998-1999)
- DESERT (2000)
- SPOC (2001)
- TIPTEQ (2005)
- DESIRE (2006)
- INDEPTH IV (2007)
- TIPAGE (2008)
- CyprusArc (2010)
- LONGMENSHAN (2012)
For older projects, see my publications list.
- 1994-present - Research Scientist - GeoForschungsZentrum (GFZ) Potsdam, Germany
- 1980-1994 - Research Scientist - Karlsruhe University, Germany
- 1979-1980- Research Associate - Birmingham University, U.K.
- 1980 - Ph.D. in Geophysics, University of Wales, U.K. (1980)
- 1976 - B.Sc. in Geology, Glasgow University, U.K.
I am a member of the Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG), the American Geophysical Union (AGU) and the Geological Society of Glasgow.
From 1995-2004, I was also a member of the Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 267 - Deformation Processes in the Andes, involving the GeoForschungsZentrum (GFZ) Potsdam, the Free University Berlin, the Technical University Berlin and the University of Potsdam.
see complete list of publications